Gallstones pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with having gallstones at the end of November. For the past year and a half have been suffering with what seemed like a permanent stich above my rid cage on the left side. Thought it was down to the fact that i had put on a bit of weight as my boobs had got a bit larger. Anyway had the first major attack in october and I thought it was food poisoning (sausage (pork) and mash dinner). Never knew pain like it. So I cut out pork as it put me off eating sausages etc and then one day at work I had a cheese sandwich and within 20 mins could not breathe as pain was so bad. An ambulance was called and I was taken to hospital but they just gave me a scan and told me to try and manage it Anyways have tried to eat healthily since and have cut out most meat (just eating fish now with veggies).

Today the soreness in my left side is really bad and is tender to the touch. Any suggestion as to what to do? Do you think I should go back to the docs?

I am 47 years of age and have always been in good health up until now.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lolly,

You have written that "I was diagnosed with having gallstones at the end of November" so if you have a few gallstones that are big and you've already had some attacks, I think you should remove it. Have you ever had echo-graphy from gallstones? Your symptoms are similar to a person who has gallbladder exept that the pain mostly starts from the right side and goes to the right shoulder.

• Posted

I had an ultrasound when I went I taken to A&E and they confirmed I had a "few" gallstones but didnt know what that meant. I have not had a severe attack since November as have been eating better.
    • Posted

OK, so you'll be in waiting list to have them removed. Another important thing is a blood test, if there's no infection, then you're lucky otherwise the operation should be done as soon as possible.
    • Posted

Thank you Nassy. I am going to make an appointment now with docs and see what he says.
    • Posted

I did have a blood test back in November and they said then that there was no infection but that might not be the case now.
  • Posted

Hi 

it's  your call.....but if it progresses you will reach a point when u are desperate to have your gallbladder removed with continuous pain and nausea and regular agonising attacks ...now basically you need to be at that point to get your head round having the operation .. But here's the problem .. Waiting lists .. So many people on here are waiting for months  in absolute agony disrupting there work there life for their operation ... My advice go to GP get referred for an operation ... And get on the waiting list .. But if your nerves are bad then leave it till you can't bear the pain anymore ... The only danger with leaving it is jaundice from blocked bile ducts , pancreatus and enlarged liver ... So many on here are waiting on lists then end up being rushed in as an emergency ....having an emergency operation which is not ideal ...hope that helps ..I had mine removed 2 years ago after 15 years of attacks due to being misdiagnosed .. I feel great no pain can eat anything ... Hope that helps 

• Posted

Think I will go back to my doctors and see what he thinks I should do. Some days I dont feel a thing but today it feels particular bad and I feel quite aggitated with it.
  • Posted

Hi Lolly

my advice would be to go to the doctor and ask for a thorough examination and if it is gallstones to have them removed. It's a painful thing and the pain seems to be coming more regular.

• Posted

If it is gallstones you really need to cut out fat altogether. So cheese is out, sorry, I love it as well.

Had my gallbladder removed end of April last year.

I would at least get yourself on the waiting list to have the wretched thing removed.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

It is definitely gallstones and have cut out cheese. It just feels really tender today...

I am going docs on Thursday morning to see what they say and will report back here.

xx

• Posted

Hi lolly...I suffered a few attacks then when it reached the stage of the skin being sore to touch I was diagnosed with acute cholesystitis (probably spelt wrong) and admitted to hospital and had surgery to remove the gallbladder within 14 hours of being admitted...does your pain increase when breathing in or out?... My doc told me that the painful skin along with the pain on breathing out was a sign it had to be dealt with...6 weeks on and I still have post operative pain although controlled by cocodamols and I'm still having blood tests to check liver function is returning to normal.....when I had my first attack in august I like you couldn't breath and the pain was worse than childbirth,paramedic gave me 2 shots of morphine before it killed the pain...I sympathise with you...don't suffer...I would advise turning up at a and e next time you have an attack and say you can't go on like this.. Good luck
    • Posted

Hello Jay... the soreness hasnt happened for a few months and has come on today. Its really sore but not when I breathe in or out.

The attack is definitely more painful than child birth as at least that is contractions and you can have a breather in between! this is so much worse.

Will let you know what doc says on Thursday. x

• Posted

Hi Lolly,

Yes, others have given good advice here, definitely go and checked out, you may just get another all clear for blood tests etc, but at least it puts yr mind at rest for now. I have gallstones with bad symptoms for months and yes, have pain on the left - that can mean pancreas is irritated, or be referred pain it seems, my blood tests stayed neg despite all the pain and symptoms so am still awaiting a care plan - have some other digestive issues as well, it seems.It is all pretty miserable as so many have experienced on here, but good luck and take care.

• Posted

Cynthia... thank you for your response. I will let you know what doc says x

• Posted

I can only echo what the others have said. I had a bad attack in October and I was in hospital for 9 days. They said I needed my GB out. I'm still waiting for a date for surgery now. I can't work although I need to find work and I've been stuck on medication and a very low fat diet while I wait. Believe me, it's not worth delaying. Get on the list asap is my advice
    • Posted

Not sure if I have mentioned this to you before but if you tell them you are willing to have the operation at short notice if someone else cancels this may get you in earlier. This is what happened to me.

Hope you get your op soon.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.