Gastric Band Advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone I'm so glad iv come across this forum so hope you can help/advise.  Iv got a consulation due in a couple of weeks in relation to the gastric band really nervous but quite excited. Due to the fact my weight has been creeping up for the past 5 years im only 5ft 1 and currently 12 stone and being extremely embarrased as im stuggling to fit in stuff and iv got up to a F cup.  Finding out i have Type 2 diabetes was the final straw. I am hopeless at diets so looking into the band.  The worrying thing is im get conflicting stories on how good/bad it really is.....maybe iv been googling too much.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Helen. Congratulations on taking these steps, I know how anxious it made me in the beginning. I've only had my band 3 weeks, even though the first week was hard it's getting easier and I'm still confident I made the right choice. Its more of a mental adjustment, my life revolved around food and alcohol that's been the hard thing, redefining myself if you will. Its gonna be a long journey but I think it's worth it. Maybe someone who's had it longer can give a better opinion.

• Posted

Thank you for replying and its great to find people who have actually gone down this road i hope things continue to be good for you. 
  • Posted

research, research and more research is the way forward and what you need to remember is that it is just a tool to aid wgt loss and not a magic wand so you will still need to work with it as it will not do the work for you - it is not an easy option and the wgt will not simply melt away - you will have to make healthy food choices   and these are things you need to do with your mind as the band will not make the choices for you - the band will restrict portion size but what you put in those portions is down to you - if you are a person who eats big meals then it is poss that the band will be the best thing for you but if you are somebody who snacks then it is poss not the best tool for you as the band will not stop you snacking.  I think the fact that you have been googling is good but make sure you are getting advice from responsible sources - you could join a support group where you can chat to people face to face or an online group such as WLSinfo but make sure you get info from people who actually have had this type of wgt loss surgery rather than somebody who has had a different type as people who have a band are the people who will know the negatives and positives and there will be some but what you need to decide is which of the negatives you could and could not live with - at your first consultation you will be asked about your eating habits, life style, wgt loss/gain history and health status and should be given an insight as to how the band works and whether it would be suitable for you - make a list of the questions you want to ask as it is easy to forget once you are in the consultation and then you might think of something you wanted to know afterwards when it is too late - good luck and if you have any specific questions just ask   
    • Posted

Thanks for your response i will definately continue to do research just nice to find people who have actually gone down this avenue to have a better life style. I will look on WLSinfo .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.