Gastric band and scuba diving? Advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my band fitted in April. I am a qualified diver and planning a big trip next year to Barbados to dive. My clinic have told me that there are no rules set in stone for diving with a band but I should be careful as the water pressure can cause tightness.

Has anyone dived with a band and if so how did you get on? I'm thinking about doing a trial dive in this country before booking my trip.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alicia,

I am booked in to get my band done on 30 November.

I am a PADI instructor and from what i've been taught by PADI the water pressure only really affects the air spaces inside your body, as the band is filled with liquid it shouldn't compress.  One other thing to note is that the biggest pressure change is between the surface and a few meters deep so you could probably test this in a deep swimming pool. If you do a trial dive let me know the outcome!

Jason

• Posted

Ah thank you so much! Makes me feel a lot better hearing it from an instructor! I'll keep you posted!

Good luck for you opp smile

• Posted

i would def do a trial here at home cos then at least if you need a defill you know where to get one easily enough rather than being in a strange country and not having a clue where to seek help - lots of things can affect the tightness of the band but i have no experience of scuba diving so cannot offer any advice - goodluck
  • Posted

Hi Alicia,

I spoke to my surgeon yesterday about this and he said that the band contains no air just saline solution which is effectively just water. He told me that the liquid in the band would compress at depth but only slightly and would have the opposite affect as flying so if you were to eat whilst at depth you would find it easier as if the band had been loosened but only slightly.

I'm now on the milkshake and yoghurt diet so looking forward to the operation and actually testing this theory out afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.