Gastric band booked in 4 weeks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and was hoping to get a few questions answered. I have my op booked in about 4 weeks. I am having a gastric band. Can you tell me if you still feel hungry after the op but before the first fill? thanks Fran

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fran, Good luck with the band.  Don't expect miracle results though as there will be nothing in the band immediately after the operation to cause any restriction. I had my band fitted last april and it is only after several fills that I have managed to lose weight.  It was a really slow process for me.  i have lost about 4 stone so it has been worth it.. So yes you will still have appetite after the operation.

• Posted

Hi Fran, I've had my band for 4 months and I can honestly say for me,the hunger is always there. The craving for chocolate etc that I use to eat in abundance is there also so your own willpower will be a major factor in your weight loss journey. I've lost just over 3 stone so far and have about 3 to go but I wouldn't change a thing. Your band will be your tool,good luck with your journey x

• Posted

Thanks Nicola and Lisa for the fast reply. I am very nervous about the operation but looking forward to it too. I am 3-3.5 stone above my idea BMI but only 5'2 so quite hefty. My issues (thank goodness) has never been snacking or sweet food but I just eat far too much and bad foods when I do eat. I am hoping that as I wont be able to eat big volumes and become full v quickly that this should work well for me. 

• Posted

My Bmi was over 40 and it is now 31.  I wish I had had the Op years ago.  I xould lose another stone or 2 but I am so much nmore confident and happy than I was.  Also no longer take any medication for diabetes.  My only complaint is that the NHS will not even consider me for a tummy tuck....good luck and let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

wow that's an amazing weight loss! well done. I am doing it now because I know that if I dont I will just keep piling on the weight. It gets so much harder as you get older and I dont want to look back in 3 stone time and regret not taking the plunge. Ive not told anyone apart from my husband (who thinks Im just lazy) as they dont think I am that overweight, But its not what other people think, its what you think. And I know that if I continue to gain weight at a stone a year (as I am doing) it wont be long before I have weight related medical issues. I am already at the point where exercise is difficult so I have to take drastic action now and stop the yo-yo diets.

• Posted

the band wont stop you from snacking or making the wrong food choices - that is something you still need to control with your willpower - its not a magic wand - just a to0l to help you lose wgt and for you to work with - rightly so you will not be able to eat large meals but if you are prone to snacking between meals that is something you will have to stop yourself from doing
  • Posted

HI - the gastric band does not stop you from feeling hungry but you can satisfy that hunger by smaller amounts of food - when you are newly post op you will have little or no restriction as this needs to be built up over time with a series of small fills at regular intervals until you reach that ultimate level of restriction - however you might lose your appetite for a while straight after the surgery - the first fill doesnt generally make a great deal of difference though it might feel a bit tighter for the first couple of days till it settles down - good luck
    • Posted

thanks. Luckily I dont snack at all. but I know that I am going to have to make some big changes - which I hope the band will give me the impetus to do.
  • Posted

Hi Fran. I just had mine done Tuesday. As for feeling hungry my band appears to be tighter than other people have described post surgery as I can't keep fluids down at the moment (the bariatric team advised me to monitor it closely as you need at least 500ml a day) , so I guess it depends from person to person. In terms of hunger I've not felt hungry physically in my body but more in a mental way. Like my minds telling me I'd really like to eat something but after a sip of fluids I immediately feel overly full. Its not been too bad so far though. I'm excited to get over this uncomfortable stage.

• Posted

Hi Ollie how are you getting on? Are you feeling any better?
    • Posted

Hi Fran. Thanks for asking. I'm doing much better now. I really should have gone to A&E as I wasnt keeping down anything more than a couple of sips, but being a stubborn man I stuck it out (which is a silly thing to do I don't recommend it). However Saturday night having not being able to keep anything down I had a small glass of dioralyte to help with the dehydration symptoms something about it didn't trigger the regurgitation I had with other liquids. That allowed me to get a good night's sleep which I think gave the swelling around the band a chance to subside, and as of Sunday I've steadily been increasing the fluids I can get in. I still can't manage anything thicker than milk but at least I'm more hydrated. Walking around a lot I do feel a bit light headed from lack or calories so it's something to watch out for.

You have to really concentrate on drinking, one big sip, moving too much or the wrong seating position can really make you tighten up and possibly bring it up.

I've done some experimenting and this is what I've found works for me a week in, some of it might sound unhealthy but I've been advised have what I can when I can, I'm having so little that calories aren't more than 200 a day.

Goes down well: milk, tea, coffee, thinner fruit juices (watermelon/vitamin water/Apple), water, green tea with honey. Thin soups

... Tiny amounts though, I'm averageing 150ml-200ml an hour with breaks between

Don't go down yet: yoghurt, chocolate pudding, thicker fruit juice, thicker soups (that's all I've dared try)

Hunger wise physically still feel full after a sip or two, mentally smelling or seeing food gets a bit depressing but at that point I go over the reasons I'm doing this in my head.

Sucky sweets are a good distraction. Just don't swallow!!

Sorry about the massive essay. Hope this helps. smile

• Posted

HI OLLIE - good to hear things are improving - a couple of suggestions to get some nutrition into you - have you tried slimfast which would give you a bit more than just plain milk or try adding a couple of spoonfulls of dried milk to your milk to fortify it - other things you could try are protein powder and also something like lucozade but let it go flat - you could also try fortifying your soups with milk powder or protein powder - perhaps if you ask your GP he/she could provide you with some kind of supplement or there could be something your bariatric team could recommend that you can buy from the chemist - are you taking vitamins - if not this could be something else you could try in order to get some nutrition into your body as it needs to heal after surgery 
    • Posted

Hey bandid. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I'm taking some dissolvable multi vits. They're quite acidic so hard to get through but I have them once a day. One of the juices I have is multivitamin also.

Good idea about fortifying soups I'll have to give that a go.

As for protein shake I do have some delicious ones just not worked upto it yet. They're pretty good in the protein/carb balance too it's syntha 6 salted caramel. If you've not tried I would definitely recommend. I'll be giving them a go tomorrow to see how they go down.

• Posted

Booked for Friday and I am scared and a nervous wreck.
    • Posted

You'll be fine. Its not bad at all worst part was the waiting to go into surgery. The actual thing took less than an hour went to sleep woke up couple of hours later and obviously a bit painful but they give you some awesome painkillers so it was all good after smile

• Posted

which bit are you scared of - is it the actual surgery - cos if thats the case you wont feel a thing til you come round and as the post above says, they do give you painkillers - i was a bit stiff around my abdomen but each day i felt a little better - concentrate on your pre op diet and friday will be over and done before you know it
    • Posted

Thanks Ollie3.14.

So worried about the pain after. I will be travelling 4 hrs on the train the next day.

• Posted

Trains a pretty smooth these days so shouldn't be too bad. Try and get down some pain killers before you get on allowing time to clear your top pouch, and when you're on take it very slow with drinking and take a sick bag just in case.

• Posted

Band fitted yesterday. No pain up to now. Fluids went down well yesterday after surgery. Today I am struggling. Hiccups and small amount of fluid in my throat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.