Gastric Band in less than 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Booked in for a band third week of january - nervous but excited.

Have started on the low intake diet - so far so good.

Anyone who's had a band fitted, how soon was it before you noticed a drop in weight, are we talking weeks, or months?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I was banded in Jan 2015 and had 3 weeks pre op diet. The weight started to drop off from then. The weight loss was gradual, but I really noticed it after about 4 months. Now I'm having to go down a size every 2 months. I've gone from a size 28 to a 14/16.
    • Posted

sounds fantastic - life changing?

Any regrets, or problems, or has it been plain sailing?

How long were you in hospital after the op?

• Posted

I've been fine, no problems at all 😊😊😊 yes it has been life changing and I've embraced every minute of it. It's taken a lot of self control, but the band lets you know what you can and can't eat. One or two prices of advice I would give, is when you're eating 'normal' food, heat the small plate first...that way your food will remain hot during the 20 mins that you have to eat it. Don't feel guilty if you don't finish your meal. And dont be afraid to ask for a child size portion If you go out, most if not all restaurants that I have been to are very accommodating.

Good luck 😊😊😊

• Posted

D-Day is tomorrow - nervous, anxious, but well excited to see it drop off!

Did you feel any pain immediately after procedure? Was discharge simple on the next day?

• Posted

I was discharged less than 24 hrs after my op and whilst i did not suffer too much my abdominal area was very stiff and a bit tender. I could not bend and found getting up out of the chair and out of bed slightly difficult - every day however i was a bit more flexible - i was a little uncomfortable my first night in hosp and had some pain killers - my back was sore which i think might have been due to how i would have been placed on the operating table but by the next day this sensation had passed- i was given an array of painkillers by the hosp to take home with me but i never took any of them as i did not feel the need - the next day i had a breaky of sloppy weetabix and the nurse helped me shower then i awaited the all clear from the consultant which i got around 11 am and my son came to the hosp to drive me home. good luck with your op
    • Posted

Hiya, Procedure done Friday night - back home Saturday morning.

Consultant said all went well - and that he did tighten the band a little bit stratight away.

A bit sore - liquids are playing with my stomach, but hey - hopefully it's gonna be worth it.

Sloppy weetabix?? They allowed you that?  I would kill for some sloppy weetabix - hating complan!!!

• Posted

Try Weetabix to go,liquid breakfast they are thicker and more satisfying than complan.
    • Posted

How about if I was to have a normal wetabix drenched in milk?
    • Posted

i would say not if it isnt on the list of things to eat at this stage - whilst i was given it on my first day in hosp every consultalnt have their own ideas and is best to stick to their preferences.  
    • Posted

I would agree with banded. If it's not in the list, dint have it.there is a huge difference between sloppy Weetabix and Weetabix on the go.
  • Posted

i lost wgt on the pre op diet and then a slow steady wgt loss wk by wk however until you have several fills in your band and built up decent restriction any wgt loss you have will be down to you rather than your band as you will not have any restriction for many months - the wgt loss will not be dramatic - you might have heard the band descsribed as the tortoise in the world of wgt loss surgery as compared to other methods which are quicker and most def the hare.  good luck
  • Posted

I'm not sure if anyone else had to do this, but I had my op at the spire, and was give a course of 10 injections to do myself. Subdural ones.
    • Posted

i too had my op at the Spire but it was over 7 yrs ago so every chance that things hae changed in that time - i didnt have to givem yself injections 
  • Posted

I had my band fitted 10 months ago.  I am disappointed with weight loss as only 2 stone lost and my weight hasnt changed in months.  I do have restriction and I am not eating hardly anything - also exercise for 30 minutes a day which I never used to.  I have had 6 band fills and booked for another next week.  The op itself was easy to recover from and I am glad I had it done but I had hoped for more.
  • Posted

I also had to inject myself daily to prevent clotting.  My consultant was actually quite rude to me - saying how dangerous it was for me to be so large etc.... and how I couldnt expect the nursting staff to move me on the operating table.  I was 16 stone which I apprecite is overweight but i was there for an expensive operation to halp me lose weight not to be subjected to more lectures. 
    • Posted

That's dreadful ! I was 20 stone and over and the staff were really lovely to me. I could not have had a better experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.