Gastric band - next week!!! Ahh

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello!

Any post op gastric banders out there?! 

I've got my op on 24th and starting to get a bit nervous but very excited about the future! 

I'm on the milk diet and finding it quite tough, not as bad as I thought but I'm struggling with the salty drink as I can't stand gravy or anything like that!

Please help! 

X

0 likes, 80 replies

80 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I have a gastric band but my advice applies to all weight loss surgery candidates.  Please PLEASE make sure you take daily vitamin supplements after your operation, I've been really poorly with malnourishment in the 6 years since my op.  I have a history of poor nutrition and tbh the band wasn't suitable for me -  I'm having it removed hopefully this year.  Being malnourished makes you feel really yuk so please make sure you're getting your vitamins and minerals [smile]

The milk diet really didn't agree with me - I was lactose intollerant as a child and if i eat too much dairy the old symptoms return.  I was advised to have a diet of lots of fruit and veg instead and that was much better!

Lots of luck for your op and I wish you all the best for the future - if I can help you any further please don't hestitate to message me.

Regards,

Kat

• Posted

Hi Kat,

Thank you for your advice :-)

I am already taking multi vitamin and multi mineral tablets daily so I will keep that up thank you for the tip.

Sorry to hear that your band made you unwell, hopefully it was beneficial in some way?! 

May I ask if it was very painful afterwards? 

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, 

Glad to hear you're taking vitamins already :-)

Initially I lost 8.5 stones in the first 18 months then became very ill with malnutrition which in turn caused a nervous breakdown.  I then gained 3.5 stones over 4 years and have managed to lose 1.5 of that since March throuhg

• Posted

*through Slimming World.

I can honestly say I've never been so ill in my life since having the band.   Most days I struggle to eat normal meals and end up having to eat any old junk that'll pass through the band without making me sick. I feel no restriction from the band now and can eat normal sized portions of food (although nowhere near as much as I used to eat pre-band) but when I'm full I get the most horrendously painful stitch in my left shoulder/collarbone area. 

I'm not going to lie, yes it's painful.  For two weeks I couldn't take care of myself - anything that involves using stomach muscles is out.  This includes getting up from a chair, getting out of bed and I had to sleep on my back as any other position was agony.  The surgeons fill your abdominal cavity with air during the procedure so they can see what they're doing, I don't know if it's the air dissipating that causes the pain but it feels like you've had a good kicking in the stomach.  Also, the keyhole wound just by my sternum became infected because I refused to not wear a bra lol one going bad out of 6 ain't bad going! Other bad points about the band are the burping and hiccuping during and after food and the first time I got food stuck I thought I was dying - the pain!

Gastric bands aren't for everyone, I know two people that didn't lose any weight with theirs and have managed to lose weight through conventional diet and exercise instead.  I think if you don't see it as a magical cure-all then you won't be disappointed.  Sorry if this is a bit wordy and brutally honest but I'd like you to go into this with as much knowledge as possible.

Take Care,

Kat

xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.

Can I ask why you weren't allowed to wear a bra?! 

Thanks xx

• Posted

I was advised not to wear a bra for two weeks because it would rub on the incision.  I hated not wearing one so went against the advice and ended up with an infected incision!

xxx

• Posted

Oh I see! Didn't think of that, don't see how it would rub though? I'm fine with not wearing a bra! Thanks xxx
    • Posted

The bra rubbed because I had an incision just below my *ahem* girls in the middle where the piece between the bra cups sits. I think it's called the sternum?

xxx

• Posted

The bra rubbed because I had an incision just below my *ahem* girls in the middle where the piece between the bra cups sits. I think it's called the sternum?

xxx

• Posted

Oh I see! That's quite high up isn't it!

I do quite like not wearing a bra at home! Luckily no-one will see me!

Thanks again xxx

• Posted

Rebecca hi , I am 2 days post op and am in pain which is to. Be expected , it feels like I have had a c section again , coughing is sore but I am coping , am so impatient I just want to feel me again and start with my weight loss , my husband is doing my daily injections and am taking the pain killers prescribed for me but I do need to get some liquid vitimans , good luck for you op x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Fiona!

Yes I'm expecting the pain but it will be worth it! Hope it's not too bad for you.

Can I ask what you've managed to eat/drink so far? 

Also are the injections post op related? If so....Ahhhh I didn't know there were injections to be done!! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery x

• Posted

Thanks Rebecca , I have only managed water , fruit juice and weight watchers soup so far , the injections are to thin your blood and you have to wear the stocking for. 2 weeks .

the pain is bearable at the moment , good luck for yours x

• Posted

Thanks, I wonder if everyone has to have the injections as this is the first I've heard about them! I knew about the stockings though, they are so attractive!!

Hope you get a good nights sleep x

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm 3 days post op with the hospital group. From my experience: no issue wearing a bra - incisions low enough nearer my belly button. Injections - none at home only 1 in hosp to thin blood and socks only to be worn in hosp.

I do know when I had surgery abroad they gave u injections to thin ur blood for 5 days to allow travel home.

I would advise u to join the Facebook gastric band UK page, it's a really good area to discuss with other people in ur shoes and those who've had it done.

Any questions please ask, Kim x

• Posted

Hi Kim - Glad to see you on here! How did it all go? I have booked mine - eek!! - 31st Oct, so i have to start my pre-op diet this saturday. Hope you're not too sore with it? Let me know all the details!! Good luck xx

Karen x

• Posted

Hi Karen, it went well thanks. Still a wee bit sore but nothing too bad.

You should come onto the gastric band UK Facebook page, there's some amazing support on that! Add me in fab if you like I'm hardly on here - Kimberley Bain x

• Posted

well thats a relief !!! I'm on facebook, but not very savvy with the tech side - how do i go on that site and comment without my other facebook friends seeing it?
    • Posted

It's a private group so only people in the group can see it or posts in it smile it still comes up on ur newsfeed but only for u. X
    • Posted

oh ok, thanks Kim i'll join it now - hopefully - lol!! do you mind if i send you a friend request too?  I'm on there Karen Seymour - x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.