Gastric bands: pros and cons

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been advised by my heart consultant that i should have a gastric band fitted to loose weight before he operates.

My daughter does not want me to have the gastric band due to the risks.

what does everyone think?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When does your surgeon want to operate?

I only ask because a gastric band isn't a quick fix!

• Posted

not for a year,i know its not a quick fix and believe me im not taking this lightly.
  • Posted

I guess you have to look at the pros and cons. The risk of not having a band might be greater than the risks of having one.  The band surgery actually carries minimal risk: although operating on an overweight person always has some element of risk. But the surgery is done keyhole and is only about three quarters of an hour. Or is she concerned about post op risks?  I had my band fitted on the 31st March, with a BMI of 49, and have had no post op issues.  Overall I decided that the risks of being so overweight were much greater than the risks of having a little op. I have various health issues but there is still a lot I want to do in life!! I'm not minimising the band op ; it is a lifestyle change and takes committment, but its well worth it.

Best wishes, whatever you decide.

• Posted

shes a nurse and says she has seen the results when the op goes wrong. i will wait and see what the consultant says when i get my appointment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.