gastric sleeve surgery,can you advise me

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 69 years old and have  high blood presure, would I be denied a gastric sleeve procedure  does anyone have any idea on this please

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would say it depends more on your general health status than your age - some 69 year olds are more healthy than people half their age however you do say that you have high blood pressure so the question is would this normally prevent you from having a general anaesthetic for the surgery or would it be dangerous?  I am not a medical person so i do not know the answer to this question  - often if you can lower your wgt then it can bring your BP down but i suppose the medical expert would need to weigh up the pros and cons of your particular case - I dont know whether there is a standard answer to this   question cos i believe everyone is individual and everybody's criteria would be studied specifically - good luck

• Posted

I am still a teeneager at heart, just a jolly old fool, but now Im ready  to get it sorted, I hope the bp wont affect the docs decision. thanks for  your good wishes
    • Posted

Hello Bandid, just reading your comments from 8 months ago. Can I ask I for you went ahead with your vertical sleeve op ? I am 69 and considering the same surgery myself. I am very nervous about going ahead because of my age, so hope you don't mind me asking? Thanks

• Posted

HI ANN - I do not have a vertical sleeve - I have a band  - possibly it is one of the other members who have replied on this thread that you have mixed me up with - good luck with whatever you decide and I am sure if the consultant did not think you were fit enough for the op because of your age he would not go ahead with it
  • Posted

I am 63 had biliary pancreatic diversion. I got rid of my type 2 diabetes which is great but the other side effects aren't. I don't think I would suggest this surgery to anyone but haven't met anyone with the sleeve. Only wish you the best cause my weight is still a huge issue! I think the only solution is constant. Dieting!!! Sorry to be a Debbi downer but that's been my experienxe

• Posted

to be fair though this is a totally diff type of wgt loss surgery - I believe you have had your internal plumbing rearranged and your surgery is more intrusive in as much as it works by mallabsorption whereby the sleeve works purely by restriction - I am not an expert but its just what I understand but I would think the side effects of a sleeve could be totally different to those of BPD which you have undergone - I think whatever type of wgt loss surgery one chooses it needs to be understood that it is not a magic wand and purely a tool to lose wgt - the wgt can come back and also there is no guarantee as to how much wgt will be lost but  for many, myself included, it was a last resort as I had tried every diet known to man and more besides - I had nowhere else to go other than wgt loss surgery - and yes I still have to diet - but I am in a better state than I was cos i wouldnt have even been the same size as I was when i had my op - I am pretty sure I would have gained even more wgt.  No pun intended but i think all the pros and cons need to be weighed up in advance and its good that you have been honest with the original poster, she needs to know the down sides aswel as the positives - and of course its not an easy option as so many of the newspapers and mags try to make out  - hindsight is often a great thing and I am sorry this does not seem to have been the right route for you
    • Posted

Thanks Bandaid you're 100% correct . I just wanted to say that you still need to diet no matter what. Appreciate your reply

• Posted

oh yes, you def still need to watch what you eat - wgt loss surgery will not monitor what you actually put in your mouth - so unless some control or restraint is exercised then it is not going to work, contrary to what is often regurgitated in the media - it is best to do lots of research beforehand and know what the pros and cons are of each surgery and then decide which would be livable with and which would not - hopefully monica has done this and she wont be in for any nasty surprises after the op
    • Posted

Hello again, yes I have read, asked questions  and I think done all I can do to prepare myself for gastric surgery. I have now decided on a gastric band rather than the sleeve. I have spoken to  the surgeon and have met a lady who had a band 10 years ago at the same clinic and she expained   away her 10 years, I will go to Belgium in October with my twin sister and we will both get banded and then help each other along the new lifestyle, I will keep you informed, New passport just arrived, getting excited now
  • Posted

go0d luck with your op to you and your sis and i hope you have lots of success
    • Posted

thankyou so much, we still have the ecg and blood tests etc to do so not there yet, fingers crossed though, its time
  • Posted

Its not that simple, I was 22stone and due to start the process to getting one of two things done either the sleeve or band, You attend a clinic and you of course have to show them you can loose weight on your own before they will even consider you or surgery. I have lost 9stone on my own without the surgery thankfully. You wont be denied but you will have to make your own changes before hand
    • Posted

well done Angela, you must be so pleased with yourself, and rightly so, my sister and I are having a band, having it done in Europe, Belgium next month, I am fortunate to have a very good friend there who has checked the company, doctor and hospital out thoroughly for us so Im quite happy to go and have the band fitted and spend a couple of days holiday afterwards

monica x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.