Gastric ulcers.

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have gastric ulcers diagnosed in Hospital on 11 Dec 2016. I am on a course of PPIs as treatment starting same date and still have look in stools. Is this normal during treatment.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I guess examining the stools is to check for any further blood leakage,

PPIs over a period of time lower the level of acid in the stomach so please be aware that this in turn affects absorption of Vitamin B12 and can lead to a B12 Deficiency.

Have a chat with your GP so that he/she can monitor your serum B12 and serum Folate (B9) levels.

I am not a medically qualified person but my ulcer perforated at the age of seventeen which necessitated the rremoval of two thirds of my stomach back in 1959.  How I wish there were PPI's back then, but I'm still "clivealive" at 75 biggrin

I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I am 72. I really wanted to know if after taking the PPIs for 6 days i should still have black stools, although not solid black.
    • Posted

At our age and with your "tummy troubles" you definitely should have your B12 level checked and as ihavenonickname says contact your doctor if you are concerned as I have no idea how long PP!s take to work.

Are you still having any pain? I guess that would be a sign of bleeding.

• Posted

Douglas,

remember, your ulcer bleeds into your stool, but your stool does not completely empty your entire gastrointestinal tract out every day.

If your stool is black or looks like coffee grounds, your ulcer is continuing to bleed.

You should telephone your physician and let your physician know about the cintinued bleeding.

I hope you heal soon...how are you feeling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.