Gastritis, could it have healed and re-flared?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Very fed up, been suffering a variety of problems, upper stomach pain, right side pain and reflux for best part of this year with no diagnosis.

My question is re the reflux, I was taking Lansoprazole until a few wks ago. It didn't seem to be helping my symptoms, right side stomach pain.... so I stopped. Fast forward a few wks and the burning stomach/heartburn is worst it's ever been. Hit me like a ton of brick, with vomiting including small amount of blood.

Just before I stopped taking Lansoprazole, about 2 months ago, I had an endoscopy which found nothing. Could I have had gastritis which healed and has now flared up again after i stopped?

I am also waiting of a CT scan of my intestines after an inflammation of bowel lining was noted.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, re you taking Orlistat?

Im not sure that anyone on this site can help you with your diffculties as it is a support forum for Orlistat users.

I hope you get some help soon

• Posted

thank you Andrea, I posted in wrong area - will amend.. 
    • Posted

No problem, I just didn't want you to be wasting your time.

Take care

• Posted

Hiya I know you've posted in wrong area but I used to have gastritis and took omeprezole. The best thing I ever did was stop taking them and started taking a digestive enzyme instead. Those proton pump inhibitors can make things worse as they stop the stomach producing acid but sometimes the problem is that the stomach is not making enough acid in the first place!!!

If you want to know more then feel free to PM me.

• Posted

Thanks Caterpillar, appreciate the reply. Dr had me on omeprazole first then lansoprqzole. I decided to come off myself but started again in desperation. Will hopefully get a consultation with GI Dr soon after scan on Fri. Its a long horrible business..... Your story is interesting to hear.
    • Posted

You're welcome. Admittedly I wasn't producing blood like you have been but I was very uncomfortable with it. A nutritional therapist told me to come off them and after a week or so on the enzymes I was much better. I only take them when I need to now which isn't very often!

Good luck with it.

• Posted

I'm taking omeprazole right now and I don't feel like it's doing anything either. The first time I tried omeprazole for 2 weeks then I quit taking it becauase it didn't feel like it was working. Symptoms got worst and I got a new Doctor that prescribed me omeprazole again but also sucralfate. This time within a couple of days my appetite came back and symptoms improved. I credit sucralfate with that. I'm anxious to quit taking omeprazole and think I might give the enzymes a try. What brand do you use?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.