1. Stomach churning due to excessive gas

2. Lots of Belching after I eat

3. Burning sensation in stomach if I eat something with even light spice

4. Stomach upset keeping me awake at night

5. Bloated stomach after i eat

6. Feeling full even if I eat small portion of food at night

7. Tested positive for H.Pylori

8. Frequent bowel movement

My doctor advised me to be on PPI for once in a day after my dinner. I had PPI for 3 months. Initial 2 weeks I had PPI for 2 times in a day. Antacid syrup at night time for 1 month. 3 course tablet for a week to get rid of h pylori. Above tablets are strictly on my doctor advise.

Diet during gastritis:

Eat only small quantity at a time. If you previously had 3 meals a day, now split the quantity to 4 meals a day. A hungry stomach can worsen the gastritis ulcer, so keep eating whenever you feel hungry. Now What to eat; I had yoghurt or curd with rice for 3 times a day for initial 3 weeks. Had fruits like  less-riped banana, papaya, mango, apple, strawberry, pineapple(a little), pomegranate, melons. Had some vegetable juice like beetroot, carrot. Fruits and vegetable juice are in between meals. Took buttermilk(1 table spoon yoghurt in glass of water stir well) in between meals twice a day with pinch of asafoetida mixed in it. A lot of water in a day is very crucial to the cure. Take diluted fresh lemon juice twice a week.

Avoid stomach irritants like chilli, alcohol, smoking, vinegar, aerated drinks, soda, ginger, coffee, for me even tea, citric acid fruits, any other thing you find irritant to stomach. Because irritants vary form person to person. Include boiled egg in your daily diet. I ate well cooked chicken once in 2 weeks. Hard to digest foods may worsen your symptoms like red meat, pulses like soy bean, avoid these foods atleast for a month or so. Oil I used for cooking is sesame oil which I use traditionally. Doctors usually advise to take Olive oil, which is a neutral oil. Do not eat anything hot or cold. 

Many websites advise alkaline diet which is basically eating lots of natural foods. Certain alkaline foods are also irritant to stomach avoid those. Otherwise eat a lot of alkaline rich fruits, raisins and nuts(almonds). Raw vegetables(except juice), raw green leaf are hard to digest, I found it little uncomfortable. Eat a balanced diet. 

Lifestyle changes:

Lifestyle changes are mandatory. Exercise well for atleast 30 minutes a day in morning, but my stomach hurts in the initial 1 month of gastritis if I exercise. Go to sleep after 3 hours of having your meal. Go to bed early like 9pm and try to sleep in a dark room which enables the melatonin secretion which is a crucial enzyme for curing our body, which secretes only during our good early night sleep. Never ever have a heavy meal during gastritis. If you do not get sleep because of the pain or upset, try antacid syrup. Have a refreshing walk after each meal. Avoid stress or heated arguments which will worsen your symptoms. I lost nearly 8 kg in this 3 months diet. Alter your lifestyle such that you here on avoid your stomach irritants until you get fully recovered.

Doing the above things I recovered in 3 months time about 80%. Timeline of the betterment varies on the severity. Never worry a lot, you will also get back to normal course. All you need is a thinking that you will recover very soon. Be positive about getting well which is more important of all.

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

How did you feel after completing the 1 week triple therapy for H Pylori?  Did it make your stomach rather sensitive like youd just been in boxing match with mike tyson?
    • Posted

yes i had some side effects which were nightmare but its part of the medicine. Now feeling better. Actually my doctor advised that if we test 10 persons randomly out of that 4 might have H pylori. H pylori is a problem only when it causes repeated ulcers in our life.
    • Posted

How long did it take after the triple therapy to actually feel better and more like yourself?  I finished the day before yesterday and still feel rotten.  All im eating right now is rice krispies, weetabix, cabbage, chicken, turkey and potatoes.   I cant drink a lot or I get bloated.
    • Posted

matt, actually my doctor found out HP at 2 months end, that i am infected with h pylori, by that time i was 60% better so the triple theraphy dint show much change in me. Doctor said even we cant check whether HP is completely wiped off or not. 
    • Edited

Why are doctors in this country so bad at this Gastritis thing?  The Triple therapy l knocked me for 6, extreme lethargy, stomach cramp, wooly headed, dizziness, nightmares, unable to sleep properly.... terrible
    • Posted

Ive just started eating kiwis and its great my cough and sickness has gone
  • Edited

Hi, I was just wondering after the three months were you able to eat normal foods again, like eat a standard dinner of meat potatoes and veg? Were you able to meet any bad foods like pizza and not feel awful after?

I was on  a very strict diet from june to august (no dairy, sugar, wheat and was taking various supplements) and felt soo much better but after incooporating other foods again felt like i was going back to square one. I've tried to go back on this strick diet but find it so hard to stick to such strict meals. So I really want to know is it worth being so strict, did you ever feel 100% better and could eat whatever you want (to an extent)

• Posted

Hi gopi, please do tell us whether or not you fully recovered and after how long. Was there a need to take PPI after 3 mnths or did you let it recover naturally. I was diagnosed with severe gastritis with h pylori and had exactly the same symptoms as you. Also I am on a very similar regimen: 10 days of Pylera for HP with PPI and then 3 mnths PPI. I have completed 2 mnths and symptoms have lessened but really anxious how long will it take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Posted

Hi sir..iam 24 years old..1 month back i have diagnoised with multiple erosive gastritis..iam suffering a lot..how much time it takes to recover completely..iam suffering with severe loss off appetite..fullness and bloating in the lining of my stomach..the pain and the uncomfortness iam feeling is worse..so plz suggest me to get back to normal condition..!!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed after an endoscopy with gastritis.  I was put on 20mg of omeprazole dr This is my first day on the meds and I find no relief. Any suggestions?
    • Posted

if u have no issues on your kidney, try sodium ascorbate 2 gms per day. Do this while eating the right foods in small frequent feeding. It worked for me just by 3 months doing it without medications. I had non erosive antral gastritis and all medications just gave me temporary relief and rebound effect.
  • Posted

Hi. Thanks for the list, it's comprehensive! I am waiting for a result of H Pylori test. Nervous but at least it should give me an explanation for how I'm feeling. I took antibiotics 3 months ago and it's changed my life negatively. Was sick on the last night I was taken them and since then I -

- Have days here I have no appetite or just feel like I can't eat.

- have acid reflux with rushes of acid back into my esophagus.

- Nausea

- Feel full quickly after eating.

- feel choked up

- Had oral thrush

- have a burning feeling when my stomach is empty

- Feel uncomfortable when I've eaten food

I wish I knew what was going on. This is exhausting and I feel like I'm going to die. I'm only 30. Please help.

I'm scared because I have had an appetite till now and it's disappeared.

• Posted

My diet change to Alaline water, broccoli, White rice is helping with healing. Also 3 small meals during the day and fasting all night "10-12 hrs" helps give the stomach time to recover. I am on Carafate 2-4 times a day and 40mg ppi nexium. Walking after a meal helps, hot relaxing bath before bed time, try to relax, If you think you don't have stress? This situation is stress. We all want to heal try unplugging often as possible. Try to forget and be positive you will recover and heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.