GCA at 46...my story

Posted , 9 users are following.

My name is Jonathan and this is my story; I am a 46 year old male who contracted temporal arteritis (also known as giant cell arteritis or GCA) with amaurosis fujax and nearly went permanently blind.

By setting out the sequence of events it is my intention to assist others to diagnose this rare (2.2/10 000 persons) auto-immune disorder when it arises in younger sufferers and thereby prevent blindness and other serious complications which can occur when the condition is not identified sufficiently early.

My GCA was not diagnosed early as a result of a combination of circumstances, most notably my age and gender which both contradicted an obvious diagnoses, and the onset of the swine flu epidemic which at a key time diverted resources at my GP’s surgery from blood tests to inoculations.

I have tried to be succinct and objective (this account runs to four pages), to include sufficient detail to inform, but not enough to bore; I hope I have achieved my objective, if not then I apologise.

I have maintained a good level of CV fitness all my adult life, and although I am slightly overweight (6’0 tall, 95kg) and drink above the recommended level, I don’t smoke and am by and large in very good physical and mental health. My research indicates that it may be relevant that from 13 to 16 years old I suffered from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

That said, by the summer of 2009 I had been suffering for some months from a painful right shoulder that ached particularly at night. On occasions the pain was severe and only reduced by the application of heat and the taking pain-killers and anti-inflammatory ‘over the counter’ drugs.

Eventually I consulted my G.P. and, following an x-ray which showed there was no injury to the joint, I was diagnosed with ’frozen shoulder’ (with hindsight, this was most certainly the first symptom of my GCA and when I began taking prednisolone it was the first to disappear).

Then on 10th September 2009 I banged my left knee against the sharp corner of a heavy chair whilst at work. Although I took very little notice of it at the time, this event would coincide to the day with a rapid decline in my health.

What the injury to the knee most certainly did (I had in fact I had broken my cartilage) was to mask other symptoms of GCA that were beginning to emerge; most notably of which was an intense aching in both my lower legs; I erroneously attributed this pain however to the knee injury. No more than a week after my legs started to ache I experienced severe fatigue, but I put the fatigue down to the aching legs and the aching legs down to the knee; it all seemed to make sense, for a short while at least.

Over the next week the aching got worse, especially in the morning, the fatigue became more debilitating and the shoulder breathtakingly painful. In addition, I began to suffer from night sweats but with no accompanying fever. It began to dawn on me that these symptoms could not all emanate from a relatively unexciting knock to my knee.

So on 18th September I went to my GP presenting fatigue; he ordered a blood test, but the swine flu epidemic meant that I had to wait until 5th October for the test, then over another two weeks to get the results and see my GP again. When I did, on 23rd October, I was informed my C-Reactive Protein (CRP) was 137. My GP referred me to a consultant rheumatologist and suggested that I might be suffering from systemic lupus.

At this time (5th to 22nd October) I could manage no more than a few hours work before having to return home early to collapse exhausted on the settee by mid-afternoon; pain-killers and anti-inflammatory tablets became part of my daily diet. I was losing weight, about a stone, or to be more precise I was losing all muscle tone. I was feeling very unwell; so unwell in fact that I gave up drinking for a week!

I continued to work, proud of my impressive sickness record and contemptuous of those lesser mortals who succumbed to illness; whatever else was happening, the air was thick with hubris.

Whilst awaiting to see the consultant (23rd October to 2nd November) I started to improve. The fatigue reduced significantly and the pain in my shoulder became sporadic; the aching legs continued but lessened.

During this period however a completely new and quite disconcerting symptom emerged, an extremely tender scalp. At first this was at the back of the head, just above the neck; then it moved over both temples and latterly to behind both ears. It was as if my head was bruised and my skull was sensitive to the touch; it was not a head-ache but something distinctly different.

On 3rd November I had my first appointment with my consultant, a very experienced Senior Rheumatologist at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, who after careful and protracted examination assessed that I was unlikely to have systemic lupus but was more than likely suffering from either vasculitis, temporal/GCA or possibly lymphoma; incidentally a more recent blood test showed an CRP of 87 and an E Sedimentary Rate (ESR) of 88.

One significant matter seemed to be troubling my consultant, as I was too young to have vasculities or temporal arteritis; he expressed concern that I may in fact be suffering from endocarditis, which he explained was a medical condition emanating from an infection of the heart/aorta disorder; to assist his diagnosis he arranged a CT scan of my heart and abdomen.

On 13th November he started me on a low dose of steroids (15mg of prednisolone); he was proceeding cautiously, an approach with which I was concurred.

I researched GCA and learnt of the threat it presented to my sight; I learnt that men were more likely to go blind than women and that blindness in either eye could be followed by blindness in the other within a week. Once lost, the sight could not be returned.

Within days, the shoulder improved, the legs ached less but were still uncomfortable, and the scalp tenderness decreased but still troubled me.

Then less than a week later on 19th November, I lost my sight almost completely four times in my left eye within a two hour period. Each time an area of deepest black appeared across my vision and increased until I was nearly totally blind, and then, five to ten seconds later it cleared.

I went to A&E immediately and, some hours later having argued hard with the staff to convince them I wasn’t imagining it, I was eventually prescribed 30mg of soluble aspirin and 60mg of prednisolone. A blood test taken at this time showed a CRP of 67. I was sent home and erroneously and repeatedly reassured the loss of vision was nothing to do with my GCA.

The following day (20th November) upon learning of my loss of vision my consultant immediately admitted me to hospital to facilitate the rapid administration of a serious of drugs, 1000mg of methylprednisolone, tinzaparin, simvastatins and dispersible aspirin to combat the threat to my sight. On this day I reported sick from work.

The CT scan on my heart and abdomen showed nothing untoward, importantly I did not have lymphoma, and several detailed eye tests revealed no permanent damage.

Both eye consultants agreed with my consultant, I had experienced several episodes of amaurosis and been extremely fortunate not to go blind; truly terrifying though the episode was, it strongly supported the GCA diagnoses which my consultant had made less than a week previously.

On 23rd November my CRP was 15 and ESR 17 and with it the threat to my sight was slightly diminished. I wasn’t sure whether I have been extremely unlucky or extremely unlucky. At this time, I was on 60mg prednisolone a day.

Over the coming week (24th November to 1st December), and whilst on the very high dose of prednisolone, several things happened:

The sensitivity in my head reduced significantly.

My left knee, which the attentive reader may recall I injured months previously, actually started to hurt with the onset of an intermittent sharp pain and was uncomfortable to walk on.

The pain in my shoulder ceased.

My legs no longer ached.

The night sweats stopped, although they had already significantly reduced.

The prominent veins in the back of my hands re-appeared.

Having extensively researched the symptoms and reading the accounts of others with this condition, I have absolutely no doubt that the diagnoses is correct; one symptom I have never experienced though is the jaw stiffness about which some 50% of sufferers complain, research suggests the ‘jaw’ symptom is more common in females and ‘blindness’ in males.

Interestingly, the onset of GCA is more prevalent in summer and in the south rather than the north of the UK, both factors are in common with my own story (for these and other findings see Dr Liam Smeeth’s 2001 study entitled “Incidence of diagnosed polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis in the United Kingdom, 1990–2001”: Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine).

On 27th November, a further blood test, whilst still on 60mg of prednisolone a day, returned a CRP of 3.2 and a ESR of 5.

On 30th November I had an MRI scans on my orbits and brain and optical nerves; both were undamaged with venus flow in the cavernous sinus normal.

On 3rd December my consultant instigated a plan to reduce my prednisolone from 60mg per day whilst monitoring my CRP and ESR readings.

On 8th December my CRP was 5.4 and my ESR 5; it appeared the GCA was coming under control; at this time my prednisolone dosage had reduced to 25mg.

On 17th December an ECG, an echocardiogram and an examination by a cardiologist eliminated endocarditis or any other heart related cause.

On 18th December my CRP was 7.2 and ESR 5; at the time of this blood test my prednisolone dosage had been at 18mg for a week.

And on 21st December the results of a temporal artery biopsy of 15th inst. showed no evidence of inflammation to suggest the presence of a temporal arteritis. However, temporal arteritis is a segmental process which is not excluded by a negative arterial biopsy.

By now I was feeling significantly better and only troubled by, pain is the wrong word, sporadic feelings of pressure in my head; sometimes its over the temples, others at the back of the head - it definitely moves and some days are worse than others. The sensation not painful, just disconcerting.

So by late December 2009 the GCA appeared to be in remission, and the process of gradually reducing the prednisolone whilst carefully monitoring the blood for inflammation had began.

Throughout these events I have come across medical professionals who because of my age either did not consider or, once I had been diagnosed were sceptical about my very experienced consultant’s diagnoses of GCA; but my research clearly indicates that whilst it’s occurrence in persons under 50 is rare, the medical world is in fact littered with cases of GCA involving people under 50, and interestingly a higher proportion of ‘younger’ sufferers appear to be male.

Indeed, in 2008 a 46 year old male was diagnosed with GCA in Derbyshire.

To quote Anthony Allen MD Chief, Interventional Radiology, Brooke Army Centre US, an Associate Professor of Radiology as recently as 2008; “Although temporal arteritis (giant cell arteritis) occurs almost exclusively in patients older than 50 years, well-documented cases have been reported in patients as young as 40 years“.

So guys, don’t dismiss GCA…our sight lies literally in your quick diagnosis and swift treatment.

Kind regards

A 46 YEAR OLD GIANT CELL ARTERITIS SUFFERER.

(Jonathan Cox, ***** ******)

[color=orange:491791562b](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/color:491791562b]

[size=9:491791562b][/size:491791562b]

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi Jonathon my name is Liz, in January 2011 aged 50 and after as you describe, a fairly protracted process, I was diagnosed with PMR and GCA, I was started off on steroids and had been on these for over 2 years reducing when in February this year, I was virtually coming off these. Suddenly at the end of June I had visual disturbance and, to cut a long story short, have lost a significant amount of sight in my right eye, back on high doses of medication and feeling pretty desperate. Could do with communicating with someone who knows what I am going through, any advice please?
  • Posted

Liz, please look at the 'pinned' threads at the top of the first page. They will direct you to the national PMR GCAuk Charity and loads of information. There are two forums available where you can chat, ask questions and get the benefit of patients with experience of either or both conditions.

There is a lot of research being done right now and is available for you to read.

• Posted

Hi Jonathan

I have had both PMR and GCA and, like you, it was not an easy ride to diagnosis but thankfully my eyesight was saved.

Yes, you were quite young to succumb to this illness but one of my close friends lived next to a very young lad who was diagnosed with temporal arteritis a few years ago, so it does happen.

As Nefret has said above, there is a lot of research going on at present into both PMR/GCA and its treatment, including a fast track referral system for GCA - do look up all the latest developments on the Charity's website PMRGCAuk. Also, you will find details of various support groups dotted around the country.

I do hope you have now completely recovered and have managed to get off steroids.

• Posted

Hello Liz

I'm so sorry to hear that you have suffered a flare after being so near remission and I can understand how desperate you feel especially having suffered some loss of vision. Do let us know in which part of the country you live as there might just be a support group near to you. If not, then do keep in touch either here or on one of the two other forums mentioned in the pinned threads - there is always someone around who may be able to answer any questions or even if you just fancy a chat.

• Posted

Hi Mrs O thank you for your reply I live in Colchester, in Essex. I must admit, up to this point, the PMR symptoms were far more debilitating but I now find myself in fear of losing my sight. At the start of the month I began suffering from visual disturbance in my right eye, I am now back on high doses of steroids and blood results are back within normal range but no improvement so far in eyesight, is anyone able to confirm that sometimes it can improve? So far not able to find the 'pinned threads' referred to here. Discovered the forum today on google, was having a low moment at work today, trying not to worry my family but feeling very helpless and rather scared, normally very independent and in control so not handling this well really......
  • Posted

Hello again Liz

I would have thought that providing you were treated with high dose steroids (40-60mg) immediately you noticed disturbance with your vision then your eyesight should have been protected. Have you been referred to a rheumatologist and also to a consultant ophthalmologist - the latter will be able to examine the back of your eye (the optic nerve) and should be able to see if it is damaged. I remember I had blurred vision in one eye for a long time after starting steroids but it did slowly improve. However, I still see a consultant ophthalmologist every six months who checks my optic nerve as I developed glaucoma - another condition which can damage the optic nerve.

Are you anywhere near to Southend Hospital? If so, perhaps you could ask to be referred to a professor of rheumatology there who is a leading expert in PMR and GCA, and president of our national organisation, PMRGCAuk.

You will find the pinned threads by clicking on 'Polymyalgia Rheumatica and GCA' in red at the top of this page. If you then click on the first pinned thread it will take you to two posts containing the website and forum addresses of the North East Support Group and PMRGCAuk.

There is also a long established support group for Southend/Essex - I will send you a private message containing the contact details as this post will be held up for checking if I quote email addresses here.

I'm not surprised you're feeling "scared" but if you seek the reassurance of a consultant ophthalmologist as soon as possible, he will hopefully be able to put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Very interesting to read your post. I am 49 and have just been diagnosed with GCA and suspected PMR. I also have a blocked carotid artery which leads to brain so am awaiting surgery options. I first presented about 5 years ago with high bp that seemed uncontrollable and i had pains in legs which were claudication ( i smoked up until 5 years ago) I was stented in my right leg which helped greatly with mobility and bp went almost back to normal but had car accident shortly afterwards and leg started hurting again. I thought i t was a failed stent but i had pain everywhere. The accident wasnt that bad...just a bump, but upset me alot as my car was written off. The pain got worse and my bp went up to over 300 and i was hospitalized but they couldnt find a reason for high bp and pain everywhere. I have continued on bp meds and started to have my left arm go numb about a year ago. GP said it was carpel tunnel syndrome and told me to wear a wrist brace at night but it didnt help. Was still in a lot of neck and shoulder pain and in last 6 months right hip started to hurt a lot. I have an underactive thyroid and and take thyroxine and also iron levels are low. Took iron tablets for 2 years from doc and as soon as they stopped, iron levels dropped again. I was starting to feel like a hypercondriac. All this pain and exhaustion but nothing apparantley wrong with me. Numbness in arm was getting worse so doctor took my bp and it  was normal so i asked her to check the other arm and it was 268/110 so i was referred back to vascular surgeon to see if my calf pain in left leg was to blame or the numb left arm. They did a full body scan and injected dye. It took over 2 months to see consultant for results of scan so I thought it couldnt have shown much in scan. Nearly fell off my seat when he told me i had a blcokage in carotid artery and it was difficult and dangerous to operate as it goes to brain. I was even more dumbstruck when he said scan showed arteritis. My arteries in my neck area are all damaged and thickened. He sent me home with no info or meds. I rang GCA helpline and they told me to go straight back to Emergency at hopsital and get sorted properly. they examined me and gave me 60 mg steroid daily and i see my gp to continue that .Im not sure when i will hear from consuiltant re surgery etc.

Why dont docotors take bp in both arms...one arm is no real indication of there being no problems..i found out that bp with a difference of 10 or more in arms is an indication that there may be a blockage...but i never had bp taken in both arms at an appointment. I feel so angry and donfused rtight now. I have cried so much and I dont think i have any tears left ...just lots of questions. Hate the thought of steroids and the effect they will have on my weight. I am overweight already and trying to diet and i have three boys at home with autism to care for. I dont have time for a long term illness.

On the plus side i have only been on steroids for two days and feeling full of energy for the first time in years and aches and pains dont seem as bad....but i have a terrible pressure headache in head and cant sleep...i can hear my pulse so loudly in my left ear it keeps me awake.

• Posted

Read your rather frightening story , and so glad you didn't lose your sight..I went to my Dr with a dreadful headache and loss of most of my sight in left eye... she sent an e mail to st Helens hospital saying it was urgent, and they phoned with an appointment three weeks hence......I went to Warrington hospital, and had lost most of sight in left eye and a bit in right eye...steroids immediately, a high dose, and it got easier... now have OR as well, so in four months, I 've been grounded, also I still work full time aged 71....but not, for the first tie ever, I 've felt quite ill and felt my age....

• Posted

Hi Mary

my sympathies, things should get better for you now that you are on steroids. Just a general update for everybody who was kind enough to respond to my situation. The eye was actually not GCA linked at all, unfortunately the rheumatologist would not listen to my pleas that I felt fine, nor was any account taken of the fact that my ESR rate was not necessarily high, I was put on the massive steroid dose and, as stated, my sight became increasingly worse. In the end I requested an urgent review of my case and it transpired that it was a misdiagnosis; I had a detached retina. Some four eye operations later, I have some sight left in my eye however, had this been attended to immediately, the outcome could have been so much better. Please ensure that your symptoms are not always dismissed as part of your auto-immune disease, especially if your instincts tell you otherwise.

Thank you all for responding when I was feeling so low.

My best wishes to all who are struggling with PMR/GCA.

• Edited

Thanks for sharing that Johnathan. I found it fascinating.

I am on a journey myself to work out why i've been feeling so unwell for the past 18 months. I have constant pressure headaches, painful neck and back and back and terrible sleep problems. I'm 46. when i was in my late 20s I developed severe Peyronie's disease and frozen shoulder in both shoulders. The pain in the shoulders burnt out after about 4 years (a two operations that did nothing). In my 30s and 40s i've been treated for depression and my GP thinks my current problems are a symptom of that. I'm convinced something else is going on. I've lost a stone in the past year and cant put it back on despite eating like a horse.

I wake up in the night from about 3am with gastro pain, pain around my kidneys and headaches and feel like a zombe during the day. i gave up alcohol last December but still feel hungover all the time. I'm a University lecturer and have had to go part time because of the mental exhaustion I feel all the time.

Could it be GCA? With Covid going on I get the impression my GP thinks I'm a bit of malingerer and I'm reluctant to hassle them more. Is it worth asking for prednisone to see if anything improves?

I'm a bit desperate and exhausted.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

P.S. Just before lockdown I was diagnosed with plaques in my heart and carotid artery (I was being investigated because my Dad died young of heart disease) but my cholesterol is not very high. I don't know if that's relevant. I also have weird intermittent upper leg pain (in both legs) that is only alleviated by lying down with my legs raised. I also have prominent arteries in my temple.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.