Generalised stiffness and right calf muscle wasting

Posted , 3 users are following.

When in bed at night I struggle to turn over or move as I feel so stiff and sore. Once out of bed and moving I am much better. I initially find it hard to become upright after sitting for any length of time. About 2 years ago my daughter noticed my right calf was much smaller than my left one. I cannot raise my self onto my toes on my right leg due to loss of muscle/strength in the affected leg. 

I have had blood tests, nerve stimulation tests and a muscle biopsy. My CK level from my blood tests was slightly raised, my nerve study tests were abnormal and my biopsy only showed minimal change. 

I now cannot raise my arms above shoulder level to the front and if I walk at a quicker pace my lower back feels like I have no support and I get pain around my lumbar region. 

I go spinning 4/5 times a week and cope with this very well. It's as though once I'm warmed up my stiffness diminishes. I am 51 and have only one period every 3/4 months , I have been to the dr's re the menopause but have been told all my blood tests are normal.

i have been referred to a neurosurgeon and neurologist  with ? A form of muscular dystrophy but now my muscle biopsy result has not shown the expected result. 

i struggle going up and down stairs often. I feel so fed up with my inability to do what I want to do as I have always been an active person. I have put weight on and cannot motivate myself to control my diet.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen, 

i feel for you, good that all the tests so far have revealed nothing serious but obviously your body is not working properly I have fibromyalgia and CFS and like you have been very active but I have had slot of mental and emotional problems which have contributed to ill health maybe you need to explore if that's the case with you. I am currently seeing a herbalist last week that's all. I've had no end of medications that my body doesn't like so decided to pursue the natural course as it at least will not harm me , eat as good as you can, cut out all sugar except honey and that obtained from fruit eat lots of good greens less meat,pace yourself. You have to let go of some of your very high standards and prioritise stuff . I hope this helps do what you can to keep your body healthy, persevere you WILL achieve  improvement eventually. 

All the best

lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Thank you for your reply.

I have been relatively stressed and anxious over the last few months.

I saw the neurologist yesterday who has now referred me to the Muscle Centre in Newcastle . Even though my blood tests and biopsy only showed mild changes he said my EMG and MRI scans showed more noticeable changes.

I took on board your advice with regard to diet and I'm exercising regularly . I find I can cycle well even though I can't run etc due to calf weakness so I go "spinning" several times a week.

Regards Ellen

• Posted

Hi Ellen just seen your reply, good that you seem to be getting things sorted. Don't do any  impact exercises like running, stretching and swimming are good if you can do either or both . Everyone gets frustrated and down when they have pain or long term illness or disabilities to cope with that's a normal response, don't be too hard on yourself, look at what you CAN do not at what you CANT, you are adapting to your situation that has drastically changed and forced limitations on you that DOES NOT mean you are of less value just the opposite. well Done let me know how things work out for you 

all the best 

lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.