Generalized Anxiety Disorder (fear of losing my mind)

Posted , 14 users are following.

Since the 1st of august 2014 my life has been turned upside down, i was stuck inside the lift at work and had my first panic attack, several weeks afterwards i have had overwhelming fears of having a heart attack with many trips to the hositpal bloods taking and ecg all normal. I overcame the fear because of other problems with anxiety. I cannot shift the thought of losing my mind becoming schizophrenic/psychotic its tearing me apart. I went to A&E because i was having intrusive thoughts about suicide and was met by two psychiatric nurses who told me im not schizophrenic/psychotic and i only have anxiety, this calmed me down for maybe a day or two but again i went quickly backing into the vicious circle of thoughts and thinking, does this ever go away? will i have a normal life again? im currenetly taking propranolol 40mg morning and night and only took fluoxetine 20mg for only 10 days because it made my suicidal thoughts worse.

my worst symptoms are 

headaches 

tired all the time 

feeling detacted (daytime is worse) 

and sometimes i feel faint like im going to collapse

currently on the waiting list for cbt nhs 

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can relate to all of that I always think I'm loosing my mind and can't enjoy life, things will reassure me but it dontvsay long until I'm worrying like crazy again, I'm on my 10th day 10mg citalopram really hope it helps because I can't cope feeling this way x
    • Posted

im glad to know im not alone but if this helps even for a short amount of time even 10 mintues rememeber if we was losing our mind we wouldnt be worrying about it we are good people :D 
    • Posted

Hi dizzydoll,  I know it's over a year since this thread has been

going, but can you tell me how the citalopram worked out for

you?  Thanks.

• Posted

Aww. It sounds like you are having a really tough time at the moment. 

It is hard to accept but the fact you are worrying about going crazy reinforces that you will not lose your mind. Anxiety really plays tricks on us and the more we think, the more we think and it is a vicious cycle. 

I have found meditation to be a nice relief. As is getting outside. (I am telling myself this as I need to remember it as I have had a bad week myself) 

• Posted

thanks for the reply and the support, i question my thoughts and realize how ridiculous they are but like you say anixety plays awful tricks on the mind. i will look into the meditation on youtube maybe it will help. 

• Posted

Hey Andrew,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is really tough to deal with any panic attacks for that matter. In fact, your current scenario mimics mine few months back. Currently on Prozac and recovering.

My advice is that you should stay with someone, it could be your parents or best buddy for the time being. At least they can keep a watch on you. Please rest and get plenty of fluids and nutritious food. If you could stop work for a moment and heal, please do it. Prozac takes awhile to work.

Keep the faith and God bless. Keep me updated

Y.

• Posted

its comforting to know your recovering and i wish you well smile 

i've recently moved in with my parents and it helps alot but still cannot convince myself i'm not going schizophrenic or losing my mind even though ive been told countless times, i cannot take any time off work right now due to financial reaosns but i only work 3 days per week. 

thanks for the support 

• Posted

I'm going through the exact same thing you are. Every weird feeling I get I think I'm going crazy. I think I'm psychotic and just waiting for me to be put in a hospital. But I try to remember that people who are crazy, don't think they are crazy. Crazy people don't see any wrong in the way they think. But I know that this only makes you feel good for a little while. But I beg you, don't look up symptoms on the internet. It'll only make it worse. I drove myself into so much panic doing that. Just know you aren't alone an lots of people are going through this with you. And my sister has been on Prozac for years and is doing awesome. But if Prozac makes it worse, there are dozens of other meds that can help so don't loose hope. You'll get through it!! It doesn't seem like it now but you will smile 
    • Posted

thanks for the support 

anxiety is extremely debilitating and i couldnt agree more GOOGLE is not your friend, i think another trip to the doctors is what i need, 

i wish you well :D

• Posted

HI Andrew, I can really relate to how you are feeling.  I have being go through suvere anxiety for a few moths now and I know how horrible it is.  I joined on here yesterday and its really good to know that others can relate.  As Amber has said below, the fact you are worrying about going crazy shows u are not although its easier to realise.  I have terrible intusive thoughts and it make me so ill, anxiety really is a horrible thing.  You sound like a really nice person and you will get over this,  I hope this brings some comfort to you. 
    • Posted

thanks for the support gillian, joining this site has made me realise im not alone, i personally know how frightening intrusive thoughts really are but i constantly tell myself they are ridiculous thoughts and they dont mean we are bad people. 

there is a video on youtube that really helped me with my intrusive thoughts and how to cope with, her user name is Katie d'Ath. 

i wish you well x

• Posted

fluoxetine has a side effect of suicidal feelings so maybe you need a change of medication.

Richard

• Posted

Dear Andrew,

Before I can answer I would like to tell the following and I want you to relate.

1. If you have a leg wound, what might heal it:-

a. Medications and Leaving it alone.

b. Picking on it with a toothpick?

The best answer there would be a., Similarly, when you get obsessed with Anxiety, it tends to stay on Longer.

The best thing for you to do is:-

Organize your day

Bring in a 20 min period of exercise, Basically stuff like Tennis, Badminton if you arent doing any.

Ensure that towards the end of the day, you have a reward for your self, like a Movie at home or a great meal with family.

Also dont talk repeatedly of your symptoms to persons who may mis interpret the same.

The NHS CBT is excellent and will help you overcome these intrusive thoughts.

Focus on your talents and Job which helps beat these thoughts.

Chin up mate, You can do it.

These symptoms occur in almost everyone's life, but some take to drink and others take to drugs or even avoidance of meeting/going out.

If you have an android phone there is an Awesome program called Stop Panic which has articles, Relaxation sessions on it, Download it, it's pretty useful.

• Posted

Dear Andrew,

I do hope you are feeling Better,

Have a Great day, and a Fabulous weekend.

Breathe well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.