generic

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just a question does any one know what exactly are 'generic brands'. Enlafax brand is what my partner takes (150mg daily). Do these generic brands make any difference, or is it just the value factor($).

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Exactly the same. Just different prices with different manufacturers x
  • Posted

The generic brands are just manufactured and sold cheaper than the named ones. There shouldn't be any difference but very rarely someone who has started taking the named brand and then switches to a generic brand can notice a difference. I had this happen and had a huge row with my pharmacist when I said that I was noticing mild withdrawal symptoms from the generic brand. The pharmacist rudely told me it was "all in my head". Not the best thing to tell someone who suffers with depression!! I told my Dr who said it is rare to notice a difference but it does happen. It is printed on every prescription I have now that I have to have the named brand and not generic.
  • Posted

My partner discovered that when she went to a chemist (Australia) they charged her the same price for the 'generic brand' as they do for the 'brand name ones'.

• Posted

Here in the UK (England) we pay £8.20 per item. More and more generic brands are being used now to try and save the NHS some money. Apparently my Efexor XL would cost over £300 per month if I actually had to "buy" them, wheras a generic brand might cost half that. I'm not sure how your health system works in Australia, but if you think you may have been overcharged then I would definitely go back and query it xxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Thanks Lottie05. My partner gets hers cheaper than you she only pays half what you are charged. I don't think that is right to charge people more for the same thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.