genital herpes low index?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm freaking out a bit only because I found the love of my life and I'm looking at having herpes. I was told by a partner he had herpes (before the man I'm with) I'm testing low index and they want to retest me. I'm just wondering what does this all mean. What's the chance of me having it if they are saying I'm testing low index what does it mean. I have hsv1 and I am being told that I could be negative because I had a break out same time around testing. I want to know. I've read many things on here and you all seem to hold a lot of knowledge if I'm barely positive is there a strong chance of me not having it?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When is the last time u were with this other person? What blood test did the do igg or igm?
    • Posted

all I know is they told me the index was low and they won't know for sure until I take a second test to see if the antibodies increase and it was in early December.

• Posted

I did a urine test and a blood test. I remember her mentioning very low index but still was testing positive. But wanted to do a retest because me having hsv1 could of interfered with the results because I recently did have an oral outbreak supposedly that produces or can produce antibodies for hsv2.
  • Posted

Is the hsv1 oral or genital?
    • Posted

Thats really weird. But let me tell ya even if you do have hsv 2 its not a huge deal. Its a skin condition and has alot of bad stigma about it.. when u have symptoms it sucks but as long as you can get the meds to control the outbreaks its not a huge deal.. just dont have sex during an outbreak
    • Posted

It has made me really think about how ignorant I was whether I have it or not I have more of a respect then to make or think ignorant statements for people who do have it for damn sure. I wish I was more educated on this previously to be honest I do agree there is a huge stigma on it! Thank you also for the comforting words.
  • Posted

If you had an outbreak, then they should have swab tested you. If by blood only, then it should be the IgG antibody test, not IgM. A low positive in some cases may be false. What tests did you have done and how exactly did you score?
    • Posted

No out break at all. No signs not even an itch down there I don't know my score all I know is her telling me that it was a low index and I needed to come back in to see if I do have it in a month it was too early to know for sure.

• Posted

Read your replies. They should have done a swab test. The blood test in your case, even if IgG, is useless for HSV1, since you already have HSV1 orally, so of course you'll test positive. The only location-specific test is the swab test, if you had lesions or a rash to swab. You'll need to see if you test positive for HSV2 in a couple of months. Do you know which type your ex has?

• Posted

Then why do they suspect anything, if you've had no symptoms? Just because of the test results? As noted, you were bound to test positive if you already have it orally.

• Posted

They said I tested positive no doubt for hsv1 and I'm showing a low positive for hsv2 they are telling me I could be showing positive for hsv2 because the same antibodies are created when you have a cold sore outbreak I just wanted to know how common this is should I be informing partners because it sounds like the results are inconclusive at this time and what I've read is that this happens quite often people testing positive and not having it. I've had no genital signs for anything

• Posted

Ah, got it now, sorry! Pre-existing HSV1 can sometimes interfere with the results for HSV2, depending on the IgG test kit used. If you have never had any symptoms and continue to score low around the same number, then it is likely false. Only way to further confirm is by the University of Washington western blot, but that is troublesome to order and expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.