Genitourinary Prolapse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I had a hysterectomy and prolapse surgery July 2nd. At about the 5 to 6th  week I noticed I was a little sore and it burned a little at my lower vagina. Then I looked inside and it looked really raw. I went to my regular doctor as I had an appointment already and she felt they must have scrapped me with some device when they did surgery. However, they did my surgery through my stomach. She suggested I soak in plain water and air out at night for a few weeks. I did this but it did not get better. I began having a thick green discharge and it was smelly. I went back to my urogynochologist. He seeems baffled. He said it appeared as if I had astrofy in my vagina (like I had damage but I hadn't). That scared me. I told him nothing ws put in my that I am aware of unless it was at surgery or if I am allergic to the mesh bungie type cord they attached from my bladder to my SI joint. He gave my two types of estrogen adn had me take it for two to three weeks. The thick green discharge cleared up but not the rawness. Oh, also when he checked me I bled very easy. He said y tissue was verry thin. That's why he put me on th eestrogen. When I went back it looked the same so he sent off to check for any type of infection or disease. I don''t understand as I have not had sex or anything close in over 2 years as my spouse can't and I haaven't. Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Any advice?  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Barbara, just make sure you don't overdose on estrogen in the vagina.  My doctor gave me three times the recommended dose for 16 months and I got endometrial cancer, so I'd always advise anyone now to check up the manufacturers prescribing guidelines (it was all there online, under prescribers information for the estrogen pessaries my doctor prescribed, with warnings about endometrial cancer plastered all over it!)

I'd been using hyalaronic acid pessaries but someone told me they can cause cancer.  I'm not sure how correct this information is since I know they're used in the vagina after radiation, to help healing, but I'm going over to the Vit E capsules now instead.  But estrogen doesn't help everyone anyway - there are a percentage of people that it does nothing for.  My GP routinely gave me antibiotics because 'she suspected an infection' due to the ring pessary but now I'm thinking it was irritation caused by the estrogen pessaries!  I'm sorry if I'm making this more complex but my experience has shown it to be a minefield!

• Posted

As soon as i read green discharge my initial thought was infection, not sure why gyne didnt give you antibiotics, from my own experience and other posts on this forum it seems common for us to get uti post surgery., or thrush. 

I was given oestrogen cream straight after surgery to use for two weeks, yes it made me bleed and i was sore using it, so maybe its that that is making you sore.

hopefully the results from the lab will be back soon and they will be able to treat for you.

• Posted

Chris, endometrial cancer is something Barbara won't have to worry about!  Hope you are doing well now, I have heard vit e is good.
    • Posted

Thanks Helen.  It's not just endometrial cancer with hormones that worries me though.  My original reason for not wanting it was because my mother died from breast cancer, but all I got from the GP was reassurances...
  • Posted

Chris, I'm with you on this and resist any HRT, even though I know the risks with vaginal treatments is very low.  I did use Vagifem for a short while a few years back and it was brilliant but would prefer not to have to use it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.