GERD and breathing

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just need some peace of mind

I have gerd and after taking probiotic supplements for a couple weeks, I've been doing really well (no nausea, great eating/digesting, etc.) but over the past couple of days, I've been having chest and breathing problems (shortness of breath, can't breathe in deeply sometimes).

I go up to big bear early tomorrow and don't come back till Sunday... I'm worried that I should be seeing a doctor ASAP since breathing is an important thing.. will the couple of days make a huge difference? I feel like if it's just related to my acid reflux, I should be fine...? Or should I call my doctor at least before I leave? Do they even have medicine for breathing problems caused by GERD? Help! I'm worried...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've been having the same breathing issues as you've just described .

Is it like , you have to manually breathe yourself because if you don't the subconscious won't do it how it's supposed to ? And when you start thinking about it , it ends up worse and then can go into a full panic attack ?

I have bowel problems at the moment , an am taking medication for heartburn . And I wonder if the heartburn is related , my doctor thinks so

• Posted

Yup pretty much!! Or I'll try not to think about it but its still subconsciously there that I'm not breathing as naturally... I have to take a deep breath once every couple of minutes and if I think too far into it, I go into full panic breathing attack!

How long have you had it?? Its only been two days for me and I don't know if I should get it checked out ASAP like its a life and death situation or if its more of a long term thing...

• Posted

You should at least speak to a Dr

Gerd can cause your insides to swell from the aggravation of the acid. As the lining swells it can make it more difficult to breathe.

Still speak to a Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.