GERD and CFS

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI,i've been really struggling this weekend with GERD all weekend its been attacking me with vomiting up bile and cramping pain in my chest bone. I take Omeprazole and Gaviscon and even Buscopan to try and reduce some of the cramping. 

Does anyone else suffer with this and what do you do to cope.

I have kept food diaries but there does not seem to be any pattern.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes this morning is the first time I have suffered this badly. I have taken pain killers and sitting in the chair. Not doing anything this morning and as I write it is becoming easier. I can never relate what happens to what I have done. 
  • Posted

You should be able to control this with just the PPI. When I have a problem I take an extra 15mg of my PPI. Sometimes I take Gaviscon but not often.

temporary increase dose time. I am on a high dose PPI because standard dose doesn't work for me 

• Posted

Hi there, 

I was also on Omeprazole though mine was due to stomach pain - it got to the point where I couldn't wear a bra and even my duvet touching my stomach would cause too much pain. I took only Omeprazole (40mg) for about 6 months. I also removed all caffeine (Coffee, tea etc) I didn't even drink decaf as this also has  a tiny amount of caffeine. I did not eat any fruit or drink any fruit juices. I also cut out all chocolate, alcohol and carbonated drinks and only ate very bland foods (potato, rice, vegetables) - not an exciting diet at all but it sorted me out nicely.

Are you taking the Omeprazole and the Gaviscon at the same time? - It was my understanding that you should only take either Omeprazole or Gaviscon - but not both at the same time - if you aren't then no worries. 

• Posted

Taking 20mg of Omeprazole twice a day, but it didn't seem to be doing anything so I stopped and tried the Gaviscon but it made it worse. I dont drink hot drinks or chocalate/ Alchohol because of migraines. might need another visit to the Drs i think. 

• Posted

Get your dr to swap your PPI, Lanzoprozole is supose to work sell, I take it 
  • Posted

Just a thought, but have you ever been investigated for Crohns?

I'm only saying this as my daughter has been diagnosed as having CFS for the past 2 years but now they are looking at the fact she may in fact have Crohns disease. She has been taking esomeprazole for a year as she started off with stomach pains, cramping, reflux, lack of appetite - for 6 months - then started with diarrhoea and constipation - she's been like this for a year - they said it was IBS and anxiety.

​Have you have recent blood tests done? She's had highish platelet count (although normal), low ferretin (although normal) and slightly high white blood cell count for the past year, but not enough for the doctors to look at anything else.

​It was only because she had a faecal calprotectin test done that they picked up inflammation in her digestive system.

​I know that it's really common to have CFS and digestive issues, but maybe it's worth asking about Crohns? My daughter's upsets don't follow a pattern, we've tried keeping food diaries etc. She's now waiting for an endoscopy and colonoscopy.

​Hope you find some solutions quickly

• Posted

I have been tested, I have blood tests every 3 months as I have a Vitamin D deficiency. I also have a hernia and a stomach ulcer caused by Naproxen. I think these make the symptoms seem a lot worse. but thank you for your reply

• Posted

Hi Carla, I hope your reflux has settled down. If the problem persists it might be worth going down the allergy testing route. I adm doing this to try and get off omeprazole because of side affects. I'm hoping a better diet for me might help me to lose some weight too.

forever the optimist!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.