Get them out asap!

Posted , 9 users are following.

As soon as you are told you have fibroids...have them removed (if possible) while they are small...before you end up like me...10 years later with huge (20cm) uterus.  Don't listen to the B... S.... that they will shrink when you go into menopause; sometimes they do, but too often they don't.  I believe in herbs and of course taking care of yourself, and I'm sure a few people get some positive results, but most fibroids aren't going anywhere.  Fibroids have a mind of their own...and if you don't already know it, there are several different types of fibroids.  Mine (a whole bunch of them) just get bigger and multiply and has been causing me lower back pain for the last five or so years.  I thought I could out-vitamin/herb/apple cider vinegar them.. what a freaking costly joke.  And all the insensitive, insulting doctors who say "you're not using your uterus any more - lets just take it out". And the FEMALE doctor who said "while she's in there she's going to remove my cervix, too" as if my body is the game board "Operation."  I never had problems with bleeding, sex, bladder, bowels.  I recently had an MRI which showed as I previously stated many fibroids, but the doctor said my ovaries and everything else in there is in good condition and why should I have a hyterectomy.  I'm going to be working with him to remove the fibroids.  Don't get me wrong; I probably would have had surgery a long time ago if I had been bleeding and suffering the way many woman do...but just do your research.  I have not fully enjoyed the last several years of my life because I'm exremely self-conscious of my protruding belly.  I kept thinking could shrink my fibroids...personally, could not.  BTW I am now 60 years old.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

thanks heidi

thats very informative. i seem to have the very same fbroids as you. ,mass ones and my tummy is like i am pregnant. I am 50 and at moment having injections to shrink them which did appear to work at my last app.gyne said had shrunk . was supose to have 2 injections 12 weeks apart and then have hysterectomy but at last visit told me Esmya might be available to me long term , i am due back in mid oct. I just didnt want to have sugery but now am worried if i dont have it and stay on esmya will i just be putting of the inevitable .

• Posted

I've waited maybe about 8 years since the doctor found my 1cm fibroid. After a year of my cycle

Becoming longer and long until I just bleed constantly, they want another ultrasound. Well now I have 2. 1-1cm and another 4cm. WHAT and now my lining isn't shedding like it should we have discussed many options but I have 2 separate issues. Had the balloon ablation in 2005 just yesterday this new doctor told me I should have never had a cycle after that. WHAT. I've always had a cycle. So even doing the newer version now for my lining isn't going to help because I have fibroids. DNC won't fix the fibroids. My family history of women problems is horrible. I had to reconsile yesterday my only option is a vaginal hysterectomy. He told me he would leave my cervix, keep my ovaries, tie my cervix to some tendons to keep it lifted. After swearing to now have a hysterectomy going through all the options (which I greatly appreciate I have only 1 thing that will solve both issues. A vaginal hysterectomy. I appreciate the doctor going over all the options thoroughly like a road map and discussing my personal situation so I had a choice. I just have two separate issues and only one thing takes care of both and future issues which I could experience again!

• Posted

Great post Heidi! I had fibroids removed in my 30's via myomectomy; of course I was told I needed a hysterectomy. I had 10 good years without fibroids and then they returned. For me now, at 55 after 7 years of bleeding and swelling, they are going way down. I've fought to keep my uterus all of these years and so glad I did my research and kept myself intact. We have to take the lead in our own healing and treatment of our bodies. You are an inspiration!

• Posted

Useful piece Heidi. For lack of knowledge we perish. I had to run away from Africa because my doctor suggested hysterectomy. Now to the UK which l taught l would have another option of taking care of my fibroids that is quite huge. The doctor l saw in the UK is suggesting same because lm 49 and wouldn't expect to have more babies. The womb is not only for babies. It's part of my body and l like it. I had myomectomy eight years ago and the fibroids recurred after four years even more bigger. Surgery, out for now. I'm into herbs and seeing some improvement. I don't bleed much and l don't have much pain like before l had the myomectomy. I'm cuul praying that all of us will be fine. This fibroid thing is worrying. 

• Posted

I agree 100% with all that's been said! My experience, they will continue to grow and cause issues. Had i known now what i new when it was first found, i would have my fibroid taken out long ago.  It was diagnosed at 4 cm and i was told to watch and wait, particularly because i wanted kids, they said the surgery would be too risky. I ended up having a myomectomy at 17cm, 4 years later and it sure was a challenge finding a doctor to do it and much riskier.  I believe it would be an even bigger challenge to find a doctor to do surgery as you exit the child bearing years. 

• Posted

I agree Heidi, I was diagnosed with small fibroids at the age of 50, I was told they were not a problem and would definitely disappear when I entered menopause. Wel I have had several years of hell, terrible pain, bleeding, bloating, andI still have them, now too big to be removed without a full hysterectomy......
  • Posted

Hi. very interesting discussion - thank you all. I had an embolisation in 2014 for the equivalent of a 6  month pregnancy of fibroids and had to fight with DRs for that rather than a hysterectomy. it was successful (although i was left iwth a fist size of dead tissue)but now - 2 years later - i have a 9.7cm new fibroid and a 4cm one and a polyp. I feel so frustrated and sad as now the only option seems to be a hysterctomy - i am now 51. I've stopped bleeding but feel in discomfort and have lower back pain and tenderness. i do think that if this were a  male condition there would be LOADS more options!!!! I was thinknig of goigni down the nutirion /herbs route but ....it just mignt not work or be fast enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.