Getting A 2nd Opinion

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have any of you ever felt, before or after surgery, that something just "wasn't quite right" with the urology group you were using and you quietly got a 2nd opinion only to find out that you were correct in your feelings/suspitions?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes. Earlier this year my urologist wanted to perform an invasive procedure I thought was unecessary. I consulted with two other urologists (quietly) and they agreed with me. Unfortunately, because of the specifics of the situation, it made it difficult to go back to the original urologist even though I would probably have continued with him for other matters. Second opinions are always a good idea for major medical decisions. And if something doesn't feel right, even more so. Only the doctors on TV are always right. 

Jim

• Posted

Hey Tom Jim is right.  If you don't feel right about something the doctor whats to do and he tell you this is the only way to go.  Find the door and another doctor.  You have to trust your doctor but if he is forcing the procedure on you that is not right.  You must be 100% sure whatever you do and you must feel that it is right for you  Ken 
  • Posted

I've been having urologists poking about in me for 8+ years now; some have been butchers. I now insist on just the one I've learnt to trust.
  • Posted

Four years ago when I was first diagnosed with PCa at the age of 49 (3 + 3) and was completely ignorant about the condition and its prognosis, the doctors were more than willing to offer a radical treatment with all the complications that come with that choice.

Now, after being on Active Surveillance, I look back and think how could they do that? Having researched all the evidence and treatment options taking into account the grade, PSA etc... it was blindingly obvious that I should have been "advised" that this was the most appropriate route. In these days however, of everyone being "so risk averse" it has to be "Your decision and your choice". Well of course it does but that is based on the advice of experts in the field.

Unfortunately some of these "experts" are quite prepared to offer radical soloutions when they are not warranted.  Whether Tom, this is what you mean by being used by the Urology Group I don't know, but for people newly diagnosed with low-grade, please take your time before you decide on radical treatment.

• Posted

Yes Sam.  We must get more information so we can make our decison.  Not all doctor are robots.  My urologist is great.  When I first went and saw him he started with pills to relax the bladder.  And after 6months when he could not get the camera in my prostate he did not rush into lets cut it out he talked about the urolift.  I had it a year ago and I'm great.  He explaned the procedure and I felt it was best for me.  Some of the old procedure may have to be use in some case but with all the new one that have come up we have better choices I have all ways said life is to short to give up anything. Information is the key.  Do not rush into anything  Ken   
    • Posted

I'm glad you've had a positive experience Kenneth and that you're doing well. All the best.
  • Posted

I am just looking at the second opinion route and is it best to pay for a private consultation in order to get it quicker or wait for the NHS procedure to find another Urologist.
  • Posted

In many states in the USA you can check out a doctor's credentials and background before you visit him or her by logging on to "Physician Profiles" AND the state he or she practices in.
  • Posted

Absolutely. I started with one 12 years ago, and stayed with him for two years, at whcih point we wanted to green lazer me. I moved onto my current doc, where I stayed for 8 years, and now, just two weeks ago, after a very painful scoping and flow test (following the scoping?), and telling me when the time was right he would be doing a TURP on me....I have now moved on. I had two appointments this week, we two differenct doctors - I'm shopping for the right doc, who will provide me the UROLIFT procedure WHEN the time is right. One was too old (hate to say that..but..), and the other I feel good with. So, yes, shop your condidtion around get as many thoughts on what can be done and tell them what YOU want and DON'T want. Good luck
  • Posted

I'm the one who started this thread.  Here's a problem that has vexed me in the past on other medical matters and I can't see why they do it.

Situation:  You're going to a doctor for a while.  Slowly you begin to lose confidence in him so you go to doctor #2 for a 2nd opinion.  So what does doctor #2 do?  HE "CONSULTS" WITH DOCTOR #1 THEREBY SCREWING YOU FOR ANY FURTHER RELATIONSHIP WITH THE FIRST DOCTOR!  (I am yelling {caps} to emphasize my disgust with this practice.

Why do they disrespect the patients right to confidentiality?  Let's face it.  A patient seeking a 2nd opinion is casting a vote of "no confidence" in the first doctor and that is exactly how he would view your actions.

Under these circumstances you can never go back to #1 even if doctor #2 confirms that doctor #1 was right all along.

Tom  

• Posted

There are a couple of ways to get around this. 

If you have a very good relationship with the first doctor, and you plan on coming back, you can tell the first doctor in advance you are getting a second opinion. Bring him or her in on it. That way, when the second doctor consults with the first, it's not a surprise but art of the process.

The second is where you simply go the second doctor and not mention the name of the first doctor. I have gone so far at times as to take the first doctor's name off of some imaging tests. Surprisingly, I have never had the second doctor in this scenario ask me the name of the doctor(s) I had seen previously.Even when I say (I don't always say this) that I'm currently seeing another doctor and am here just for a second opinion.  I guess this is their protocol/etiquette or they simply don't care. When/if they ask where the report should be sent, I either have it sent to my GP, or just tell them to send it to me directly.

One thing I have found is that best to get a second opinion with a doctor with a different hospital affiliation than the first doctor, especially if you're being seen by a doctor who is part of that hospital's clinicial practice.

At least here in the states, patient records are often computerized and thefore shared by doctors in th sam hopital. So, a doctor in hospital "A" will find out soon enough that you had seen another doctor in hospital "A".

But equally important, it's sometimes really hard to get an objective opinion from the second doctor who works in the same hospital as the first doctor. They are collegues, may know each other personally, and tend not to want to contradict each other. Best to have a clean slate. This is also why it's not a good idea to ask the first doctor to suggest another doctor for a second opinion. Of course there are exceptions. 

Jim

• Posted

Possibly a plus of our NHS Scotland system is that you need a referral from your own Doctor to get a second opinion from another Doctor, and can return to your own Doctor and discuss what has been said.
    • Posted

Supertrac,

Here in the states we can also return to our own doctor and discuss the second opinion. Some doctors welcome this, but many docs, not so much. Maybe the docs in Scotland are more secure and don't mind it at all when you question their opinion elsewhere. That said, I have gotten second opinions at times and informed my first doc, but it's really case by case, and it's not just the doc but the specifics of what I'm getting the second opinion about. Sometimes, a doc draws a line in the sand like my last urologist did, and in those cases a second opinion (that the doc is aware of) can jepordize the relationship. 

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.