Getting comfortable

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm now 10 days post op and doing Ok . Had 3 walks using my 2 sticks so feel I'm on the up . I just wonder if anyone else having same issues as me re getting comfortable ! I am shocked that standing is actually the only time I'm comfy . I have sat on every chair and slept in every bed . Tried several different pillows under legs etc but I just can't get comfy and it's getting to me as I'm so tired . Any advise would be great .This is fab site I wish I had seen it pre op

Denise

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi,is it just me or does everybody have to sign in with every reply?Swindon you are the same as me 10 weeks,I must admit I can't get comfy on chairs and always need to get up after 30 mins.The first 6 weeks I was the same in Bed but it has now settled down,you will get better in time,I agree with you about a Fab site,one thing from now I have joined the Gym,but I would really like to get back to playing GOLF,bit worried about swinging the Hip has anybody got experience,would love to hear from you Best Wishes Michael.
    • Posted

Hi Michael --- No, not with every reply but often - seems to be at random - maybe moderator Allan will read this and give us his comments ... 

did you ask your surgeon or PT about playing golf again? 

seems that you are doing good otherwise !!!!

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi all,

I've been on leave hence late reply. Re signing in - if you tick the "Remember me" box you won't have to sign in on every visit. However, this expires after a week of inactivity so you would need to sign in again if you haven't been in for a week. The other reason it won't work is if you have disabled cookies or do not allow them from the site or if you clear your cookies after closing your browser. I'll add an FAQ about this with more info about cookies etc to the help section when I get time.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Denise, you've just brought back memories for me. I had my op on 14 May this year and I can remember the nights I spent sitting in my chair, then going to bed and then getting up again  and sitting in the chair. Considering I couldn't walk too far before having to sit down I too found that I could stand quite comfortably and rest before moving on again. It DOES get better, try and cat nap, that helps with the exhaustion and tiredness you are probably feeling right now, but make sure you do you exercises regularly that is a big must. I can't stress that enough. I found this site a big help mainly because of the support but also because people understood what you were going thru and there are people who are a lot worse off than yourself, it's then you realise how well you are doing.  Keep going you'll get there and keep posting you'll soon see we all have different recovery timescales and what you are experiencing is not unusual. Take care Chris x
  • Posted

Hi Swindon,

Its normal to be like this in the early days but I don't remember being as bad as that and tbh, I'm 3 days post op now and am managing to be comfy both in my chair and in bed.

It might be worth reviewing your pain meds as you might not be taking enough. I know we are all keen to get off them but if you need them then take everything you can get your hands on. There is plenty of time when you are further down the road to recovery to give up the meds.

I can't really add any more to that as I've not really had this problem but I've heard others surrounding themselves with pillows to prop them up into a position that felt ok.

Good luck in trying to find a comfy place. There's nothing worse for making you feel down than exhaustion.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hi Denise

I am Day 14 now and I could have posted this myself, especially after another restless night last night. I don't think I can offer any advice other than what has already been given on this brilliant site but I can certainly empathise and send you a hug.

if you are like me it isn't real pain but just discomfort - nothing to warrant painklllers which bring me their own far worse problems.

It really is encouraging to hear from others that this will improve soon. I think it will help when I can sleep on my side again.

Carole

• Posted

Hi carole yes agree on all factors . Last night had best sleep 6 hours unbroken. Had large gin &tonic earlier Hmm mm maybe that was the answer ! Still here's to a comfortable day for us both

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise,

i certainly sympathize with you because I went through the same discomfort for the first 2 weeks.  I think a lot depends on if you have the anterior or posterior approach, Cemented versus uncemented, and the size of your incision.  I had the posterior uncemented approach and my surgeon likes to have a lot of room to work so my incision was 11" which caused a lot of discomfort.  Sometimes icing it would help and laying on the non op side with a pillow between my knees.  I also had trouble laying on my back so I got a wedge bolster to raise my upper body up which helped with back pain.  Sometimes I would even lie on my stomach with pillows under my abdomen. I usually just took the pain meds at night just so I could get about 4 hours of sleep.  The pain meds really do much for the pain and discomfort so I didn't take them like I was supposed to.

Try to keep in mind that the worst is behind you and every week you will get a little better.  I'm 3 months post op and don't have any of that discomfort.  I think this is a journey and there are pains and discomforts that we just have to get through.  Even though I had other pain, and still do, I was so grateful to be rid of that bone on bone grinding pain.

Hang in there...it does get better.

Judy

• Posted

Thanks judy that's reassuring. At least my 90 degree phobia is easing off too ! Every room full of pillows of all shapes and sizes . Rooms look like furniture sales rooms variety of chairs too . Don't know if mine anterior or posterior how do u know ? Never heard about it till looking on here .

Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I believe they go in through the front of the hip in the anterior process and there is less damage to muscles and the scar is smaller.  The posterior approach goes in through the side of the hip.  I think each doctor has their preference.

Hope things are getting better for you,

Judy

• Posted

I thought posterior was right through your butt cheek. Am I wrong about that?

mine is in the side of my hip, not the front, wouldn't the front of your hip be your groin? Perhaps someone else can correct me but I thought Anterior is in the side of your hip.

• Posted

I also had the same problem. (I had op. 2 mon. ago)  I could not sleep in a bed, it hurt my back unless I had something under my knees.  So I tried sleeping in my recliner chair & that worked out good.  I slept in it for a couple of weeks, then tried sleeping back in the bed & it was OK then,

Hope that you can find something that helps.

• Posted

Dear Denise, 

When you say you can't get comfortable, is that because you feel pain? is it around or under the scar ? Did you have stitches or staples that still need to be removed? 

I am just asking ? Maybe the walking with sticks is too early for outside ... your body might not be in balance yet and your muscles are working too hard - 

not sure of course ... are you stretching your legs? In the beginning I didn't - favored the fetal position or knees up - it odesn;t have to be for a long time, just try 5-10 minutes first - warning: not comfy !!!! 

be gentle with your self - you are still in the early stages - 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee no pain just tightness behind knee (which is very bruised ) stitches trimmed at hospital all Ok . Seems lots people struggle to get comfy in early days . See physio wed so will ask them re walking outside . I understand that keeping mobile is good with any illness/surgery but I will check. Actually last night I had brill best sleep in ages so maybe turned corner . Must admit NO pain in joint whatsoever .

Hope u doing Ok

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.