Getting more worried.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since coming out of hospital 3 weeks ago I havent  eaten enough to keep a mouse alive. I had a life threatening Asthma attack and I think it traumatized me so much its affect my sphicter( Achalasia ) but also my appitite has gone anyway. I suffer terribly with my nerves could it be that a combination of things. I am confused weak afraid and stressed out. I feel I am not ready to die but all signs showing my body is packing in. I always have a shower once a day least 3 times a week but havent bathed since the attack thats 21 days sunday. Can being so afraid struggling to breathe have such an effect ? On me emotionally and physically ?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

"relax" can be the most difficult thing to do, but wo rry does you no good at all. My dad had chronic asthma, I get attacks and the panic makes it worse. I do understand you can get yourself in a cycle of worrying about the next attack... so think about hw you can take your mind off it. Whatever you do, don't stay in the house worrying - go outside, and think about something else. If you're anxious or depressed see your doctor because they can help you, but help yourself as much as you can.  Good luck: it will stabilise eventually.
  • Posted

Dear Dodoman

Breathing problems whether asthma, COPD are not fun at all. I know as I have a Chronic respiratory disease plus other issues.  It sounds like you are suffering depression with you not showering or caring for yourself and feeling that you are going to die. Breathing issues or any illness is a stress on a body phyically and mentally. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? If not, please do. You may also need to see a counsellor to deal with your anxiety. Understanding what is going on is half of the battle.  I hope and pray that you can feel better soon. Hang in there. 

• Posted

Hey there,

it worries me that you are going through all these issues at the same time, do you have a support system family or friends you can reach out to so you are not going through this alone, alternatively can you discuss your concerns with your gp who could possibly refer you to the right support networks

• Posted

I think you need to contact the hospital about your lack of progress. 

Keep drinking as a priority, and attemoting thin nutritious soups or special drinks that you can get on prescription.   Yoyr appetite and tatse buds are delicate things that might have been temporarily upset by the hospital procedures, but if you concentrate on keeping your mouth moist and clean, they usually improve.

It may be that the doctor might be able to give you some medication that might help relax you temporarily.   You could try things like massage? or other alternative therapies for this aspect?

• Posted

Do not worry, please. It only makes things worse. Consult your GI, I hope you are not gonna die. It's just fear. Fear is worse than death. If one GI is not helping you, consult another.

Watch your diet. Do you think you may have bile reflux? I have heard that sometimes it may be symptomless. If you have bile reflux too, PPIs may not work. In that case, you may need other medicines such as Domperidone, Ursodeoxycholic acid or SSRIs depending on the reason of your reflux.

• Posted

Hi Dodoman,

With regard to your lack of appetite, I certainly wouldn't make that a cause for concern.  Amongst the myriad of other issues that we 'Achalasians' need to be concened about, this could almost be regarded (by some people) as a plus-point....

Although I've had Achalasia for 24 years, it only occurred to me within the last year that I never feel hungry - not sure if that's what you mean by lack of appetite?  I recently had a bronchoscopy scheduled, which had to be aborted because I puked during the 'pre-amble', so to speak, - throat sprayed / sedative prepped / 'scope in my mouth, but not in my throat.

So, consultant checks that I've followed standard fasting instructions and I confirmed, "no food or drink for 12 hours". 

"OK, for the rescheduled bronchoscopy a longer fast will be necessary - say, 24 hours".

"That shouldn't be a problem since I never feel hungry", I confirmed.

"Interesting; alot of people would welcome that scenario - I wonder if we could bottle it...."

Nice to have a bit of banter in the operating room, don't you think...  ;-)

So, with the rescheduled appointment set for 2 weeks later, I thought I should have a test / trial fast in the interim.  And as I suspected  - 36 hours fasting (but drinks allowed; after all, I don't want to add dehydration to my list of symptoms) was easily achieved.  Prior to the actual bronchoscopy, I was determinied not to have the session hampered by regurgitated food, so I extended the fast to 48 hours.... again, no hunger sensation - and succesful day in OR.

I'm unclear if the lack of hunger described is a general experiece or not; just wondering.

Cheers,

Mick

• Posted

There is a mental / morale issue that you have to cope with as well as the physical aspect to things;  this is a general thing for everyone after surgery.   If you can try and establish a routine that involves washing, a bit of fresh air, gentle exercise, and taking in regular nutrition, I am sure that you will start to feel better.

I know some people who have had surgery removing the top part of their stomach (the fundus) who lose their appetite because it is there that the ghrelin originates from, which gives the signal to the brain for appetite feelings.   So you may have to try to eat little and often by the clock, rather than by your feelings of appetite. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.