Getting off of Dihydrocodeine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have been on DHC now for about 4 yeas for a hip problem. I take other medicines with them (Tramadol and a morphine patch) but it's the DHC that I have become addicted to. I get withdrawal symptoms within 20 minutes of not taking them at the usual time and now I am having to take more and more throughout the day.

I don't want this to become a worse problem and want to come off of them especially as they do nothing for my pain anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come off of them and how you did it. I have an appointment with my Dr to talk about it next week but I'm nervous about him just stopping them, even 20 minutes in the withdrawal is awful so I can't even imagine what it would be like stopping them altogether.

Thank you.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd say avoid going straight off them like the plague! I'm having to do that and it's hell.

Your doctor should be able to work out a slow titration down, I've read something like 10% a week to really cut down on side effects. There are some good posts below that are worth reading, too.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Pumpkin, good luck to you as well, hope you get through it.
  • Posted

The vast majority of Dr's will be very understanding and reduce your DHC slowly so that you don't experience withdrawal.

There are a lot of options that your Doc could do like increase your morphine dose through your patch so that you don't experience too much withdrawals.

I was on them for a while and my GP stopped them abruptly. I lost my job and everything. I joined another practice and was gradually reduced.

I reported the Doc who stopped them to the GMC and my complaint was upheld. I am in the process of suing her.

• Posted

Wow! I hope that works out for you, it is very dangerous to just completely stop medication like that. Very negligent of her to do that.

Hopefully my Dr will just reduce my dose or give an alternative, although then it's a risk of getting addicted to something else.

• Posted

Yes it was very neglectful. I seen a lot of professionals during that time who were all very angry with her.

I'm sure your Doc will reduce them gradually. I was on 8 X 30mg per day. My new GP said that he would have reduced that dose over 12 months to minimise any withdrawals.

Ask your Doc to reduce them very gradually and you will be ok. There will be difficult times but you will get through them. It sounds like your Doc is on the ball. DHC is a horrible painkiller. My new GP says that he only prescribes them for cancer patients who are terminally ill or a very short course after surgery.

I don't think your GP will allow you to get addicted to anything else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.