Getting the bladder back to normal after a catheter

Posted , 22 users are following.

How do you prepare the bladder for storing a average amount of urine after wearing a catheter for many weeks? At present I can only manage 1/3 to 1/2 the average. Not too good for traveling, going to theatre, shopping etc.

3 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have had a catheter in for a long time and i will have to have it for the rest of my life
    • Posted

I am sorry that it is necessary. However, you may think my sympathy is a bit shallow if you have read my remarks expressing my delight with my catheter. I have it to avoid the agony of spasms in my bladder when trying and managing to pee and when at the stool. So not a common view point on the subject. 
    • Posted

i have got a neuro genic bladder so if i did not have a catheter i would just pee. i get spasms in my bladder but i am on a medication to control my spasms. when i get them if i did not have a catheter i would just go into retention
    • Posted

Ah! thanks Daniel. Another piece of the puzzle in place. The radio therapist gave me pills and my GP added to them. They had very little effect and I was still in frequent agony. The catheter  was the only effective pain relief. No one had linked spasm to retention for me. 
  • Posted

hi george put in a search on google or what ever search engine you use .

how to strenghen your bladder after removel of a catherter loads of information .

good luck i have an over sensistive bladder due to my fibro it drives me mad and its esp bad when its cold .

• Posted

You have my deapest sympathy. The degree of agony from a sensitive bladder is indescribable. Impossble to keep quiet. I upset the whole house with the noise I made. Unlike most pain I can remember this one - I thought that was impossible. Now I know it is.

Thank you for your advice. I will try that.

• Posted

at the moment i dont get to much pain. discomfort some times but mines a symptom of my condition not a condition this maybe why 

but  its a bloody nuisence if you want to go any where the amount of stops i have to make and night times can mean up 7 trips . iv reduced sugar and stopped caffine has helped  .a littleredface

• Posted

try going on to a medication called solifenicin it will help reduce the flow of urine and reduces the urge to go for a pee. ask your gp for a precription and you need to get 10mg
    • Posted

My GP only gave me 5mg. It INCREASED the frequency. I don't like even to remember those nights.
    • Posted

try asking to go onto 10mg instead of 5mg because 5mg will not do anything
    • Posted

Yes indeed Daniel. I will keep that in mind for when the catheter comes out, if ever.
    • Posted

where abouts is your catheter if you do not mind me asking? do you have a district nurse that comes out to change it for you or do u do it yourself?
    • Posted

Hi Daniel,

I am new to this, just six weeks. In my area the fist change must be done by A&E. Given the crisis that seems daft. Anyway I had my firse change after a leak. District nurse is fiorbidden to do that one. Went to A&E as arranged by my GP. it seems to me I was a bad smell under their nose, just another time waster. They saw me in under an hour. Then little happended with long gaps between that little. By the time the nurse was getting her kit ready I was a gibbering mess and dancing like a four year old caught short. I was in desperate agony and distress. The floor was quite safe as I had been in retention for 4 1/2 hours. 

Then oo    oo    oo  cough   and bliss . 

Give me self catherisation or district nurse any time. The Middle Ages couldn't have done better if they wanted my PIN. I would have told A&E anything just to get the catheter.

• Posted

Was it done by a nurse in A&E rather than a urology nurse?
    • Posted

Yes an A&E nurse. The original was in urology. Give new urology any time if it has to be hospital.
    • Posted

the very first time that i had a catheter is when i was five years old and the hospital trained me on how to do it. the district nurse should come out to change it if you have a leak. A&E said you were a time waster? when i have been in retention i was not able to pass urine for a long time until my bladder has relaxed. i was in agony and in a lot of stress as well
    • Posted

try getting a indwelling foley catheter with a catheter connected to the end of it
    • Posted

A&E did not say I was a time waster, they behaved as if I were. I believe body language is almost always honest. Being rather deaf I use my eyes a lot.
    • Posted

well i do not go to hospital any more because they are a waste of time and effort i just contact the district nurse. why don't you try and contact the district nurse instead of going to the hospital?
    • Posted

O yes, Daniel, definately the district nurse. It was just that the first change had to be at A&E. Crazy and very painful and distressing. Who makes these administrative decisions? Just crazy.
    • Posted

Hi there

they messed up my cathata change at a local clinic they created a false hole that made me bleed for 9 weeks the AanE urologist had to put right it was very painful he even put a camera down there I did not look I said get on with it if I swear out aloud I apologise in advance . yes a lot of nurses know how too take cathatas out but not how fit a new due to maneuvering around the prostrate for my self I don't want the Alpha inhibitors meds because I'm allergic break out in blisters red spots that bleeds not everyone has these problems but it's very disconcerting when they don't have the info on computer of your prior allergies and I perfectly under stand the stress you had been going through but I wish you a speedy recovery

• Posted

that's true body language is a dead give away they don't even now there doing it its like thinking out aloud but with body language

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.