Getting worried about my use of co codomol.

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 5 years ago i started taking co codomol due to an operation i had. Over the years i have been taking more and more and becoming hooked on them. At present i would say i tak roughly 10 a day.... I get cranky when i dont have them and my mood plummets. I do genuinely have a bad back for which i am currentl going to hpysio for and co codomol is th only thing that helps keep that pain at bay. I am just concerned that by taking them i am slowly killing myself. I am to scared to talk to my gp as i am a nurse myself.I worry if i tell my gp that i will loose my job. When i get my prescription i get 100 tabs in a box and i would i say i get through them in about 2 weeks. When i run out i ask my mates to borrow some which they do but even now they r starting to ask if i am addicted to them. I dont know who i can turn to for help. any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Michael,

I know the feeling of constant pain,would your GP not prescribe an alternative pain killer?I too am on co-codomol,and I know how it is easy to keep taking the tablets;my GP would have prescribed an alternative painkiller but as I have heart problems carried on wit co-codomol.

Sorry I am not much help but all the best for the future.

• Posted

Hi there...

Unfortunately I tried naproxen but they didn't agree with me at all... paracetamol just doesn't touch the pain... tramadols knocks me ill..... they r really the only things tht agree with me....

Thank u

• Posted

Hey 😊 10 a day is probably a small amount as other people can take up to 30 or 60. I used to take co Codamol. A lot of them for about 5 years. I then went old turkey.. I now only about 3 months ago got addicted to Paramol. Which has the same buzz effect. Two weeks ago I went cold turkey on these. I'm quite proud haha.

But I know how they make you feel. And I doubt you would loose your job. Talking to your gp can be nerving. I didn't talk to anyone but it can make you feel like they will judge you. But your not the only ones they would have come across to be addicted. It's their own fault for handing the tablets out so easy.

You should talk to your GP. Just say you've become dependant on them. Thing is they will either recommend coming off them slowly or cold turkey.

I went cold turkey because I wasn't prepared to take the tablets anymore.

When I came off co Codamol I felt amazing. I only ended up on paramol due to back pain and feeling good again.

If you need to talk to me about anything feel free to get in touch.

But please talk to someone. It does help although it's scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.