GFR 54 at 27 years old?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went in to the hospital roughly 2 years ago for blood work and my gfr level was 102 and creatinine at 1.1. I went in again two weeks ago for blood work and my gfr level came back at 54 and creatinine at 1.7. The dr sort of left me in the dark by not saying much other than it looked like stage 3 kidney disease. he wants to see me back in two weeks to rerun blood work and maybe further testing. Is this something I should be worried about or could it be a flawed test with the drastic jump in Just two years?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Unless you are anaemic and have hypertension, there is no treatment until the GFR drops to 30 or below, 54 is not that bad, the doctor will want to monitor it every few months to make sure it isn't getting worse but other than monitoring there is not actually any treatment at this stage

• Posted

Two years is actually quite a long time, i think below 60 requires an investigation as in ultrasound and more bloods, it definitely needs repeating but i wouldn't worry as the results were not overly low, a nephrologist will not offer treatment until it drops to 30 or below so it's  a monitoring stage at the moment, i would say the bloods need repeating to confirm this.

• Posted

Hi,

They would need to look at why it has dropped, so await your next bloods and you would do well to do a 24 hour urine collection as this shows a lot.  They can find out what has caused it by a scan or if that doesn't show anything a biopsy.  I wouldn't panic until you get the result of your bloods.  Do you have high blood pressure? Were you on any medication at the time of the last blood test as there are certain meds that can effect a GFR?

• Posted

I do have high blood pressure but not taking any medications for it as of yet. I was not on any other medications at the time of the last tests
    • Posted

Hi,

It is really important that you get your blood pressure under control as kidneys do not like high blood pressure.  Like I said wait and see what your recent bloods say and then take it from there.  A GFR is only a guide and if you have acute kidney disease it can go up and down, there is a gent on here Eric that had a really bad time but he is doing better at the moment thankfully.  It is unlikely that at GFR would be out that much and there are lots of things that effect it.  Let us know your results when you get them and then we can take things from there.  Good luck and chin up smile

• Posted

Thank you Helen, this has just kind of been scary for my wife and I and don't really know what to think about it yet. I will update after the next results

• Posted

Dehydrating ambient heat and low water intake before the creatinine test makes a huge difference to the rest results. Doctors forget to mention that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.