Gilbert's Syndrome and cholesterol level

Posted , 4 users are following.

I read a study recently that said people with Gilbert's Syndrome have lower cholesterol than those without.  I myself have Gilbert's and my cholesterol is extremely low and has been for as long as I can remember.  Does anyone else have low cholesterol?  I wonder if low cholesterol is related to some of the symptoms people with Gilbert's complain of.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi DaceyCase,

I have GS and very low cholesterol. Various studies have shown that people with GS typically have lower cholesterol levels.

I found this literature review very interesting.

http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/54228/83631_1.pdf?sequence=1[/b]

There is also a lot of evidence that low cholesterol levels can cause numerous adverse effects to people's health, and in particular mental health.

So I think you're probably right, low cholesterol associated with GS may be causing some of the symptoms people are experiencing.

• Posted

Very Interesting, any chance you have the study? My recent lab work showed Cholesterol levels @ 150.  My MD wrote a note telling me it was "to low" ( should not be under 200.)  and that low levels cause difficulty thinking and processing.  I'd never heard of low cholesterol being a health risk.  Then I asked my cardiologist and he said my numbers were Poster Child Worthy so...good question.  I wonder if we are just prone to run low because of syndrome and or due to healthier lifestyle we are forced to live in order to maintain normalcy?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.