give fluoxetine time

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is the 2nd time I have been on fluoxetine in the last 10 years, I don't remember how long it took to work the 1st time as I was a stay at home Mum and not really putting a time lomot on it, however this time I was working and felt under pressure for it to work, so I was looking on all the forums about how long it takes. People were saying 1 to 2 weeks etc and I was on week 7 and feeling no better. I was starting to feel really desperate that I would never feel better and I wouldn't be able to return to work. Eventually at 8 to 9 weeks I started to feel better and returned to work gradually. It took a couple more weeks to feel 'normal' again at work. Please hang on in their if it takes longer for you than some people, there is eventually light at the end of the tunnel smile 

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well said Jo - it's so important for people to remember that it often takes months, rather than weeks, for the effects to kick in. 

Anne smile

• Posted

Im on day 25 of 20mg Fluoxetin. My fourth antidepressant. Still not much chg. Im giving 6 wks then either going to 40 or stopping. These last 2 wks have been horrible. Crying,anxiety worse an mad. Zoloft didn't do this this bad. But it went toxic in my body (liver enzymes went up,severe wt loss,flu like pain an joints hurt like a hot poker in them)so had to stop it. Went to Lexapro. Nothing mentally but wanted to sleep alot an gained wt, sluggish. So then couple months later after stopping went Duloxetin or Cymbalta (i have fibromyalgia along with depression an anxiety). It did nothing mentally. Didnt really want to much. Blood pressure went up (154/90!!!). Iv never had high blood pressure! Not over wt. 5'3 & wt 125. So it did help with pain but not depression. So tapered down fr60 to 30 then stopped. Wholly cow! Horrible withdrawls! There truly is a Cymbalta withdrawl Syndrome. Severe dizziness,nauseated,crying alot,severe head pain, started hurting again. All that went on for 3 wks after stopping. Then 2 more wks started Fluoxetin. Depression was worse,anxiety worse, crying more.....I just don't know if it's gonna work. I remember Zoloft started working maybe 3-4 wks. Litteraly woke up an was like a happy anxiety free light switch was turned on! Just like that! Boom. Im praying this happens with Prozac. Im under alot of stress. Im caregiver of my parents both 80 an dont drive. Im married an have two sons an my own home to take care of. My parent's still live in their own home. Im the gofer. But I love them an its my duty to help them. My sister doesn't help but occasionally. I fell in Nov at Walmart an broke my foot. Couldn't work my part time job. Then in Dec of 15 some idiot rear ended me an totaled our car an I got a concussion an whiplash. So having hire a lawyer to go after insurance company fr car wreck! It's all to much rt now. Im surprised Im not admitted to psych ward yet. I really hope Fluoxetin helps all of us on here! Goodluck to all!
  • Posted

you obviously have a lot of stress going on in your life presently, but I went on fluoxetine for anxiety didn't have depression at all, but the side effects made my mood drop drastically and I cried for the first few weeks. I know it seems like it will never come to an end, but it will work eventually. Perhaps just the odd good day at first then more good days smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.