Giving up hope

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone else used citalopram in the past ? This is my 4th instalment over an 11 year period for anxiety.

I have taken 20mg for 5 weeks and 30mg for 12 days and I'm starting to think it's not working this time! Does getting the side effects mean It is working ? I'm suffering from

Agitation

Lack of sleep

Increased anxiety

Trembling

Loss of appetite

Tinnitus

Nausea

I'm really concerned it's not working this time and may have to be changed to a different med. I had no side effects the last times apart from the yawning and the jaw issues.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi m8 I've had all those issues wen I started taking cit but once it got in my system I felt a difference. ..still have bad days mind but not as much just hang on in there things will get better...I take propranolol also for anxiety. ...
    • Posted

Hi,

I can't believe it's taking so long, never had these symptoms before it's been a shock to the system . I'm also taking propanolol 40 mg on a morning but doctor told me to take another one before bed so I started last night. It's the agitation I can't stand I can't sit still or concentrate, just hoping it kicks in soon this has been the longest 47 days of my life !

Lisa

• Posted

If u can't sit mate its seems u have a lot of nervous energy. ..go for a walk or do some sort of exercise. ..personally I play badminton 2x a week just to tire myself out...hope this helps matey
    • Posted

It takes me all my time to go to the local shop, The constant anxiety is crippling the only place I feel safe is my bed. I constantly fear I'm going to collapse or faint which I know I won't but when I'm anxious all these unrealistic thoughts seem real!

I'm returning to work next week that is going to be a huge challenge after being off on the sick for 7 weeks but I need to face my fears

• Posted

Hi mate I understand the anxiety but sometimes u just have to do things and don't let it rule ur life...the cit will kick in and wen it does u will be fine...take care
    • Posted

Hi Lan,I am on cit 10 mg for about 2 months .I had all the side effects like you had and still waiting for med to kick in.I am wondering if it's the right med for me.Hope you will be better soon!
    • Posted

Thank you, I hope that day is not too far away
    • Posted

Are you still suffering from side effects now ? Hideous aren't they ! My doctor put my dose up after 5 weeks I'm just hoping 30mg is the dose for me, last time I was on 40mg I couldn't bare another increase
    • Posted

Yes still have side effects.I feel worse now than before starting med.I am more anxious ,tense .depressed and feel a constant fear.I want to give up but I am affraid of withdrawal side effects.Do you still have all the side effects after 7 weeks?Do you think it's better to wait  few more weeks?
    • Posted

Yeah the only thing that's stopped is. Nausea and that's just been today. I'm scared to give up now the end must be insight now, my poor body and mind really can't take anymore
    • Posted

I know how you feel.After 2 months of hell I hope it will be worth it.This is the second antidepressant I try .Before cit I tried seroxat I ended up in A&E and now I put all my hope on citalopram if it doesn't work I won't try another one it's too much for me
    • Posted

It has worked for me in the past so I wonder if I'm immune to it now !

Has your doctor not suggested increasing your dose ?

I know one thing il never come off it again if it does eventually work

• Posted

Hi , how are you ?I was wondering if citalopram start to work for you this time
    • Posted

I ended up in hospital !

Was put on mirtazipine started 1 week 15 mg 5 weeks 30mg and been on 45mg for 3 weeks.

I still feel like crap and have been unable to work since march

I'm asking myself now should I give it more time or ask to try something else

How are you doing ?

• Posted

What happened?You ended up in hospital because cit or was anxiety?I am not well and I am affraid to try a different medication.I don't know what to doI didn't recover after my bad experience with those tablets.I hope these tablets will work for you in the end
    • Posted

I ended up in hospital cos my anxiety was unbearable I felt suicudal !

They took me off the cit by cross tapering with mirtazipine. Iv been on mirt for 10 weeks on tues, been on highest dose for 3 weeks and my anxiety and depression are still here! No where near as bad as the cit but I don't know whether to stay on them for a few more weeks or ask to try something else...I haven't a clue what tho !

• Posted

I think you are long enough on them to see an improvement.What else did you try until cit and mirtazipine?Now I take herbal remedies and want to let my brain to heal naturaly.I am going to see a neurologist to make sure is nothing wrong with my brain and after that I will see what I can do.If you are strong enough should try until find the right medication.
    • Posted

On this occasion I have tried cit and now the mirt. Hopefully seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow so will see what she recommends .....

I'm not brave enough to go without meds I know I would be in a worse place but well done you, you must be very pleased with yourself

I wonder too if Iv damaged my brain with all these chemicals

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.