Giving you hope that your hair will grow back

Posted , 7 users are following.

I developed Alopecia Areata 2 years ago. It started with a small nickle sized bald spot on the side of my head.  Soon I had 3 of these spots. As time went by the one on the side of my head grew to the size of the palm of my hand. The other two grew a bit as well. I was sure that this was it and I was going to go bald. But to my amazement my hair started to grow back! It was almost a year after I noticed the first spot that it started to fill in, before I knew it, it had all filled in and it was like nothing ever happened! I didn't get the steroid shots or anything. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. It just managed to go away. I did have a small spot show up a year after but it was about the size of a nickel and it never got any bigger than that and soon filled in as well. Currently I have no bald spots. I hope I stay this way, but I know that it is unpredicable and I might get them again. I just wanted to give you all hope that this can just suddenly turn itself around. cheesygrin

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thank you.i know it's an auto immune disease but nobody can tell me what caused it in the first place ?

I was under quite a lot of stress but my doctor said though it would make it worse it didn't cause it. It is growing back very slowly but then seems to fall out again.There are 2 patches one the size of an egg and the other coin size both on the back of my head.I tried some cream the doctor gave me but it didn't make any difference.As my health is generally good and my other hair covers it at the moment I am just waiting though have bought and tried special shampoo etc

I am just hoping it will grow back but I would like to know what caused it in the first place?

• Posted

Lilygirl, glad to hear you fully recovered.

Do you remember how soon the other two spots developed after the first spot?

• Posted

As I recall all three spots were right around the same time. Maybe a week later is when the two at the back popped up after the first one on the side of my head. I am still going strong now with no bald spots!
  • Posted

hi my son jack is 12 and he is losing his hair via same condition you had its now all over large patches I'm so worried but it was lovely to read that yours has grown back any advice will be so gratefully apriciated,thankyou,paula
  • Posted

After 2 years mine is staring to grow back.It did get very bad and I had two patches that were around the size of a lemon.I am not sure what has helped because I've tried so ma things! I now have a steroid cream from the doctor and Ip think that helps and a healthy diet,exercise and trying a positive attitude and covering the patches with longer layers of my other hair.I think to stop worrying and getting on with my my life helps.After all it's not life threatening and though upsetting other people have to cope with worse conditions.I am also taking vitamins and grapefruit seed extract.I hope this helps anyone with Alopecia Areata .
  • Posted

my son is suffering at school and has no confidence 
    • Posted

Might be worth making an appointment to see the head in case he is being bullied ?If not then just find something he enjoys that he could be good at that will boost his self esteem and confidence?Good luck 12 is a sensitive age .Perhaps some of his friends could help boost his confidence?Stress can be a factor in hair loss.
    • Posted

Hi Jane ,we have discussed his condition with his school,and they have been very helpful,he has been seeing a councillor once a week at school,she is from MIND.Although its only just started,he enjoys speaking with them.once he opens up.About 3 years ago I fainted and he was with me ,doctors called it a bad faint,I'm worried this is why he started loosing his hair,a shock I've been told many times may of played a big part of why he developed this condition.I have spoke to him about it many times reassuring him.its just so sad for him with starting secondary school
    • Posted

Hi Paula

yes I think mine was caused by a shock too .I had two shocks and the alopecia started after finding my elderly mother on the floor with a broken arm but I was also under other stresses at the time too so can't be sure what triggered it.

I still have patches at the back and they seem to move .I am not sure if the steroid cream is helping or making worse ?It seems erratic.

i am glad your son is having help ... It's good to talk.Its just a shame that they don't understand the condition well enough to treat it.The only thing I've read that seems to work for some people is steroid injections in the scalp ?Not tried them as I think my patches are too large.

• Posted

I first developed alopecia when I was 16 years old, off and on I would get 1.5cm to 3cm patches around my head and then they would grow back in, this has been going on now for almost 40 years, they have always grown back in eventually. I have very long hair to my waist. Maybe the alopecia is why, it easier for me to cover the bald spots with long hair. Anyway, just wanted to add my experience.
  • Posted

Just an update It's been about 3 years since I lost a lot of my hair to alopecia and I haven't had a problem since it grew back a year after it started. There is hope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.