Glandular fever

Posted , 3 users are following.

Iv got glandular fever for the second time now its been 3 years since i last had it my hair had only just finished growing back and im trying not to worry about it falling out again what can i do

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

So sorry to hear that you've been struggling with glandular fever for a second time. It's a strange one because a lot of doctors and places you read say you can't get glandular fever for a second time.

I definitely think the levels of EBV can be elevated and there was a time a couple of years after I first had it that my levels showed positive again, and I thought 'oh no here we go again', but it was nowhere near as bad in fact things settled down within a couple of weeks. I'm no doctor or anything so please always listen to them but from my own experience this can happen and the levels can show high again within the first 2-3 years at certain times, but it isn't necessarily a cause for great panic because you can only be infected for a first time with EBV once, and any time after that is just a recurrence if you like and won't have the same horrible effects as the first time (albeit still unpleasant for a short time possibly unfortunately). Occassionally glandular fever can be caused by a different virus CMV, so maybe first thing is to clarify with your doctor if it's EBV you've tested positive for and if it was that the first time also - I would take it as reassuring if that was the case.

I'm not really sure about the hair loss, it's not something I've heard much with glandular fever but worth speaking to your doctor about.

Hoping you feel better soon and try not to worry, I believe you will get better. Maybe a good idea to take a good multi-vitamin and some immune boosting herbs (like siberian ginseng) and things like Vitamin C (higher doses) and B complex, these can only help with things like healthy hair I'm sure.

Thinking of you,

Craig

• Posted

Just to add to Craig's excellent reply - my hair fell out when I was anaemic so may be worth getting some blood tests?

• Posted

Thanks Rosie definitely sounds like good advice there - hoping that you are doing well and feeling okay at the moment. Thinking about you and rooting for you still!

Take care

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.