Glandular Fever fatigue and Gluten

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been suffering sudden bouts of fatigue since about June 2016 ,Iam 50 and at first thought Pre menopause was the cause ,I then thought I was gluten intolerant,however a recent blood test shows I've glandular fever ,I have a couple good days then all of a sudden the fatigue hits me like I just got zapped and can barely move ! I still wonder if gluten foods can bring it on? Has anyone else ever noticed whilst having GF that some foods fatigue them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicki,

So sorry to hear you've had such an awful time since June with glandular fever. It really is a horrible virus, I had it when I was a bit younger than you 25 but as an adult it really hits you hard. I was same as you thought I would never feel better and that the fatigue and horrible feeling of running fever would never go away, but want to reassure you Vicki that eventually it does go away.

Everyone's different in terms of their recovery timescale, for me I started to make some real steps forward around the 9 month mark, and although it still was a gradual recovery after the first year I was able to live a much more normal life and that was 10 years ago. But you definitely will recover and get better, it seems to be normal course to take so long and those websites and doctors who say you will be recovered in 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks really don't know enough about how it affects your body!

I'm not sure about how gluten foods will affect it, I would definitely recommend some good vitamins and herbs to take though, a good strong multi-vitamin each day and B complex and Co-Enzyme Q10 will help with energy levels, and a high dose of Vitamin C (1000mg + per day). Siberian ginseng is also a good immune boosting herb that I've found helpful.

Thinking of you and remember just take plenty of rest and reduce stress as much as possible, those two things are key - crucial mistake so many make is trying to battle and work or live at their normal pace, which you just can't do when going through glandular fever. And remember this WILL go away even though at the time of going through is week after week and month after month it seems never ending.

Hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig ,thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me .Its so nice to have some where that people understand and know just how long recovery can take .I do have some great days ,then after 2 -3 it knocks me for a six !i have started an 5ml of liquid vit C I also take nature B and Acetyl L-Carnitine ,just started these would they be just as good as Co Q10?iam going to get a multi today ,thank you again I have noticed your name a bit on this sight you must be a very caring person,thank you and have a lovely day .
    • Posted

Hey Vicki

Thanks for the kind words, it's just I remember so clearly how hard it is to go through glandular fever and want you to know that you're not on your own and that there is hope and an end to this horrible time, because when you're going through it you just don't know and doubt whether you ever will feel the same, but your body has marvellous powers of recovery and eventually it does get on top of the virus and put it to the sword!

I think L-Carnitine is an Amino Acid, which are also good in building up your body resilience, I would see no harm in taking that and Co-enzyme Q10 if you felt you wanted to, I don't think it would do any harm as I take Co-enzyme Q10 with Amino Acids quite regularly. But remember I'm no expert on these things though so don't just take my word as read!

Yes that's the very nature some days you can feel better than others then it just hits you again. But key thing to remember is that when you feel like back to square one it's not the case, because every mini-relapse as such is helping your body cope with the virus and find resilience, so every day and week away from the first point of infection is one towards recovery, even though it doesn't always seem that way in how you feel, if that makes any sense!

Hope you have a good day today and hang in there, you WILL get better I totally believe that without any doubt.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks so much Craig ,got the multi vitamin today and the CoQ10 ,actually feeling ok today but that's pretty normal two or three good then can't even walk . Feel like Iam going to rattle with all these vitamins ha ha . Thanks again for  your encouragement 😀😀😂

• Posted

Yes I know the feeling about rattling with the vitamins! They can only help though and not do any harm at all if taken sensibly. Hoping that today can be a good day and that you can feel more settled over a longer period this time Vicki, definitely still believing in a complete recover for you today!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig ,yesterday and today have both been good ,(both have been my days off from work though )back tomorrow,had worked 10 straight when I had the really bad day Sunday .So I'd say your right rest and no stress would be the key to getting better .iam staying away from Gluten as well though I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but when I have some a day or two later a lot of the time the fatigue is even worse ,  so Iam steering clear of that too. Have a great week talk soon 😀😀

• Posted

Hey Vicki,

Yes definitely plenty of rest and a stress free lifestyle is key! Easier said than done though I know. Oh I'm sorry to hear you had to work 10 straight days, that would be exhausting for a fit person let alone someone going through glandular fever, if at all possible if you are able to avoid such patterns and get rest in between that will definitely help - I found a phased work return helped me, so just remember your health is more important than work though I understand it's not easy to take time off and the pressures of daily life,etc.

Hoping you continue to feel a bit better today smile smile

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.