Glaucoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Presently I am using Travatan once a day in the evening. Earlier I used Azopt also along with Travatan. The Doc told me to use Systane (eye lubricant) 5 mins after Travatan/ Azopt eye drops. I have an apprehension that using systane 5-10 mins after  the actual eye drops of Glaucoma may wash away their effects.

Second point is that Travatan is to be used in the evening. Should it be used at bed time or an hr or so before going to bed.

Can I have the views on the above issues.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am using similar drops[for glaucoma] and also lubricant drops. I use the glaucoma drops about an hour before bed and the lubricant  drops just before I close my eyes for sleep. This has worked extremely well for me for the past 10 years and my glaucoma is very well controlled.. As long as you leave 10-15 minutes between drops its usually OK.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. Are u using only Travatan and if so what has usually been your IOP. My IOP with only Travatan remains 18 each eye or so. I had used only Travatan earlier also for about 2.5 months and its results were almost the same.Then I started Azopt with Travatan in the hope that my IOP should come down to about 14 each eye but results remained the same. That is why I have stopped Azopt for the last one month and am again trying only Travatan for the last about 1 month to see its results for some time. If need be , I plan to again add Azopt also. Most of other eye drops for Glaucoma are Beta Blockers which drop my heart rate, hence I cannot use them.

My Glaucoma was diagnosed in Oct, 2015 and my max IOP at that time was 23 each eye. It came down to 12 each eye with CO-Dorzal (Dorzolamide 2%+Timolol 0.5%), nice but it reduced my heart rate to 50, hence was stopped after a month.

• Posted

I use Xalacom which is a combination of Timolol and Latanaprost.  Timolol is a Beta blocker so not suitable for you.    My eyes seem to have stabilised at 18 and 19,and have been like this for 10 years +,
    • Posted

have your eye pressure been 13-15 mmHg. before? as you know the normal  IOP is 10-21 and your pressure is still near upper limits. i hope your regular visual field tests and Optic nerve imaging (OCT) are stable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.