Globus Sensation Onset

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had a baby nine months ago and started developing a lot of stress due to the adjustment to life with baby. It started off with gastritis flare ups and stomach pain. I was taking omeprazole for three weeks for the gastritis. The fourth week my doctor told me to double the dosage to 40mg a day. The night that I first doubled the dosage I was laying in bed all of a sudden I started feeling this lump in my throat making it hard to swallow, my nose felt congested making it difficult to breathe, my heart started racing and I had the chills. I was terrified! I don't think I feel asleep that night until almost 4am. The next day I went to the emergency room, they informed me that the lump in my throat was called a globus sensation and it due to acid reflux that was probably from my gastritis. I told them about the other symptoms I experienced,they said that it sounded like an anxiety attack. They gave me a low dose of ativan to calm me down and put me back on the omeprazole which I refused to take. They switched it to famotidine which I took for a week or two but discontinued because I was not feeling any better from my globus sensation. It has been about a month and a half that I have been experiencing this globus sensation every single day. I have developed anxiety toward it which I realize makes it worse because it causes my stomach to produce more acid this intensifying the lump. I can't seem to not focus on it. It is coonsuming my life. Because of it I have developed a fear of medication because I fear that I will have an allergic reaction that will cause my throat to close or another anxiety attack which feels like I cannot breathe. I do not know what to do to better myself or get rid of this sensation for good. I just want my life back.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also had globus bacause of stomach acid. After many exams doctors didnt know what to do to help.

After eight months it disapeared by itself.

Please be patient and wait.

It helps not to eat food that causes stomach acid liquid and vapours to climb up. Anything fried, tomatoes, peppers and eating to fast without enough chiewing are a big NO.

Wish you the best

• Posted

If you have acid reflux you need your medication. Not taking it can cause other throat conditions if untreated long term. You won't die from it. Google it. Have a heart to heart with yourself. Put things into perspective. Then relax. I know it can be easier said than done but you are suppose to be enjoying your baby now. If you think you have any kind of postpartum depression I would recommend going back to your family doctor not the er. Your child needs you now.

• Posted

Did the ativan help? Does the lump seem gone with the ativan? I also have that lump and though I know it is not serious, it still drives me crazy. I have no break from it save for when I go to sleep.
    • Posted

I have only used the ativan twice because I'm afraid of taking medication now. It helped me get to sleep on nights that the lump cause me great anxiety and makes it hard to breathe and swallow.

• Posted

i am suffering form this condition for such a long time. I made peace with the past and tried to be optimistic as much as possible. Stay away from stressors. Our body has its own healing mechanisms. Try to eat small amount of food frequently. Stay away from fried, fatty foods. Mine is onthe right side.It is worse when I am anxious and is relieved when I eat.

Enjoy your new baby. hope this helps.

• Posted

The lump does seem to go away when I eat but returns within an hour or so, sooner if I start having acid reflux. Anxiety does make the lump worse
    • Posted

It does , but one day it will be gone. mine comes back when i worry a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.