glycerin or bisacodyl suppository

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I haven't had a bowl movement in 10 days, I've tried many different laxatives with no affect, I spoke to my friend who is a nurse and she said that before I see a doctor try a suppository, so my question is what's better? glycerin or bisacodyl suppository? Which is more effective in encouraging a bowl movement?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Personally I preferred glycerin. If you are from the UK go to your nearest chemist and ask for Microlax enema or a large fleet enema that really helped me. I was taking roughly 15 laxatives a day as I didn't go for almost a month and I was admitted to hospital. If the suppositories don't work as your chemist to order you some fleet enemas they are about £1.50 from asda
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, what exactly is the difference between the the two glycerin is easier for me to obtain from boots, so will get some tomorrow, if not I will try an enema like you said
    • Posted

I found that the dulcolax supposititories ( bisacodyl) irritates me. I went really numb with them and we don't know why I reacted to them but glycerin is like a jelly and is easier to insert too. The only problem with suppositories is that it will only touch when is there in your rectum. Try taking up to 5 Dulcoease capsules a day which is a stool softener and the enemas but only once a day the enemas can be taken. If you speak to your GP as for picolax that will clear you right out after a few doses of that. I still find it difficult now I've had all kinds of tests but still no indication as to what is causing it but glycerin will help what it can touch
    • Posted

This is my unfortunate area of expertise.  I've found that over time the bisacodyls are less irritating (less likely to make you rip your fissures open or cause hemorroids).  According to some sources (and I can believe it!) they affect the descending colon as well as the rectum.  Which is why you may find you have to stay near the toilet for hours - especially if you've allowed yourself to get very clogged up, it'll all be coming out quickly!

If you're plagued with frequent constipation - keep the bisacodyl supps in stock.  Glycerins are best used occasionally for mild difficulty "evacuating", or for help with reprogramming your bodily-function-clock.

• Posted

There's usually a multi faced approach to chronic constipation, initially looking at what your taking in that could be causing it.  Cheifly and medications that may be prone to constipation and increasing water content.  Water soluable fibre increase usually help, but too much can also lead to the issue you're trying to prevent.  In my profession, we have routine laxative administrations of liquid Lactulose, combined with Senocot and/or Soflax.  Patients receive daily doses, and are monitored through bowel protocols.  Ie- day 2 w/o BM would be increased fluid intake, day 3 would be Milk of Magnesia, and day 4 suppository.  My facility uses both glycerine or bisacodyl, but often glycerine is more tolerable.  After inneffective treatment an enema is suggested.  Treating constipation needs to be treating from both ends, that is something oral to soften and from below to release to impaction.  Be wary of enemas (fleets) as they may cause an electorlyte shift which is undesirable.  Perhaps consideration of a product such as Peg or Clearlax in fluids would be of benefit (often used with out more challenging patients).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.