Glyphosate and adrenal insufficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

There has been an article published that claims that a wellknown herbicide may be leading to potentially fatal adrenal insufficiency in humans.  Of course I can't post the link.  

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sacrey stuff. Although not permitted on growing crops in the UK, it can be used to weedkill land before planting, so theortically I suppose get into the food chain that way. 
    • Posted

Unfortunately i live in North America where we do not have any labels on our food to tell us what is contaminated or genetically engineered.  We can eat organic as much as possible, but glyphosate is in the environment and impossible to avoid.  It could be just one more stressor, the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.  I wonder if there are any studies showing whether there is a greater per capita prevalence of inflammatory diseases no than, say, twenty years ago?  Allowing for better diagnoses of course.
    • Posted

now, not no!  Wish I could edit!

• Posted

Yes, there is research corroborating this.  Go to YouTube and listen to Dr. Stephanie Seneff, a brilliant research scientist from MIT researching this.  She has published much on the subject.
    • Posted

I just looked her up and found an incredibly long transcript of an interview she did - very interesting!  
  • Posted

This was first published in 2013, if you google it their is load of stuff and some of it is contradictory.
  • Posted

Whether that is so or not it doesn't have a great deal to do with PMR and GCA - it has been suggested that there is a degree of adrenal insufficiency involved but closer examination does not find any evidence for it. It certainly isn't the case for all patients since most people recover from PMR, stop pred and have normal adrenal function.
    • Posted

Thought that the adrenals were exhausted by stress, and this could be a contributing factor to the iniflammation.  Not that everyone will get pmr because they are stressed, nor that every stressed person will get pmr!  Adrenals could recover naturally as the body heals and stress is reduced?  
    • Posted

Actually had an odd thing happen last night.  Amongst my various stressors is a landscaping nightmare, and when I awoke in the wee small hours I lay there in absolute panic that we were not doing things right.  And I wondered how that could happen: if the adrenals are the glands that produce the fight or flight hormones, and they are now shut down, shouldn't I be on a wonderful prednisone-induced even keel?
    • Posted

I'm sure there will be people who'd suggest that but I honestly don't think it is so. There isn't any evidence of it in general - but we are in a state of secondary adrenal insufficiency while we are on pred. There is plenty of corticosteroid so the ACTH that stimulates production of cortisol is suppressed - not because the adrenals CAN'T make it but because it simply isn't needed. It's the same as saying your heating boiler is broken when it simply isn't working because the house is warm enough.

However - you may be on a dose that is enough for day to day but not enough to cover plain panic - and the adrenals can't produce more. The emotion of panic remains even if there is a some pred there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.