Going against a protocol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone on this forum decided that the treatment for their ruptured achilles is inadequate and decided to follow a more aggressive one. I've recently ruptured mine and I know that they're going to leave me in a cast for ages, with no weight bearing until at least 8 weeks, wich sucks. When you have these other treatment guidelines that get you moving and mobilised asap.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I ruptured mine 5 weeks ago and straight on the cast for 4 weeks and now in boot for a week now till mid October but not due to start physio until after that which seems ages away and am not very happy about it so decided to start my physio earlier through my private health care. I didn't want to wait that long which will make my recovery time so much longer.

• Posted

Hi I got surgery to repair my fully torn Achilles and I was in a cast for 2 weeks then straight into a walking boot after my two week post op. assessment. I had asked my doctor if I could have a boot instead of another cast because the cast was to hard to sit with, I would get pain in my ankle and numbness from the swelling inside my cast even if it was elevated. Now here I am at almost 4 weeks and I hardly wear the walking boot except for if I'm going out, you just have to be super careful while it's off. My doctor said surgery and a boot leads to a faster recovery. Although I'm still on crutches and barely putting pressure on my foot I am still doing excersises to make sure it doesn't tighten too much. I will be starting therapy in about a week or two. I know it feels like a long time you'll be out for but as soon as you get past the thought of being out for so long the weeks will get easier, positive thinking and a healthy diet is required. I take two vitamin c pills and eat a lot of greens and fruits and almond milk. Also bio oil I just started applying and the scar is hardly noticeable now.. I would highly recommend bio oil. good luck

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply, if surgery and a boot leads to a faster recovery, how come the doctor wanted to put you in another cast? Is it a cost thing at certain hospitals as casts are cheap as chips?
  • Posted

Hi, I am just coming up to the 5 week mark tomorrow since my rupture. I choose no Surgury after long discussion with 2 surgeons. They were great to talk too. I completely ruptured left achiellis 5 years ago and the cast straight up after injury was a nightmare.

I begged for the boot this time and was given the newish vaco ped moonboot which has been fantastic. I have been taking off since about week two and moving foot and very slight stretches to get some movement happening.

Had my follow up at 4 weeks last week and ortho has discharged me from clinic and said doesn't need to see me again, he was very happy with the amount of movement and strength I had already. I am just to follow up with physio. He said 2 more weeks in boot weight bearing and bringing boot down to 0* and then happy for me to remove boot all together 😳 Which I am not quite sure I am ready for but will see what happens.

I purchased an ankle strap thing to wrap around foot and ankle to give some more support which I have been wearing under the boot and and it has worked a treat to help with swelling and just feel more secure when I am walking with it on. I think that will be good when I start to walk without boot as well to give some extra support. See what the physio says about it anyway.

I too was going to go see a private physio too and just see the difference in treatment and what they recommend for treatment. Doesn't hurt to get more then one opinion I reackon.

One thing for sure I can't wait to get back to normal and on the other hand I don't want to push it and go backwards.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

Can you please share which ankle support that you bought. Am 6 weeks after the injury and was given non-surgery treatment. 4 weeks in cast and almost 2 weeks in boot.

Does FWB means no crutches?

Thanks

• Posted

Hey Peter,

It was just called a ankle strap for injuries that I purchased from the local pharmacy. You slip your foot into it like a sick and then there is a long electric strap that you wrap up around the ankle and secure with a Velcro strap.

Yes FWB means full weight bearing without boot I took it as. I am and will be still using crutches without the boot when I am just walking around the house.

I would post a photo of the strap but won't let me on this site. I can email you what it looks like if you like. I find that just walking ( well sliding foot along the floor) with it on and not the boot just gives me a little more support them having nothing on at all.

Cheers

• Posted

Like a sock I meant lol
    • Posted

I really need to proof read before I post, sorry kids getting ready for school and talking to me at the same time.

Elastic strap not electric 😉👍

• Posted

I was thinking I have never seen an electric ankle strap before lol.

Please send me a picture of the support

Thanks

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

The operators of this site removed the email address from my last message, apparently no exchange of personal details on the site lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.