Going backwards on my tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am soo depressed tkr right March tkr left June

I am in Chicago finished physician therapy and am now in New York helping out my daughter who just had her third child

Her place is pretty small so not much room to move around let alone do exercises

I am helping out with the kids especially with the newborn but my knees r feeling really stiff

My bend was not that great when I came here

The PO gave me some exercises to do to strengthen the legs but she wasn't not encouraging about the bend since it hasn't improved in the last couple of weeks

I guess I just needed to cry a little (or a lot)

Thanks for listening

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Diana 

i couldn't have done what you are doing just 3 months from your second knee. 

Can you chat with your daughter and make a time during the day where you can just chill or do your exercises or both, even if it's just for 40 minutes..

if you don't you are going to end up needing a MUA so try and put you first for a while,..

• Posted

So sorry your feeling so sad, I too had one then the other , one in May second in July, that alone is enough to depress. Any body, . If you need to cry, then do, don't bottle it up, or it will make you worse, always good to cry, sounds like you have taken on to much, with looking after three children , a lot to do. Veeeeerrrrryyyyyy  important to do your exercises , to improve your bend, when in bed , lay on your back, and slide both feet, whilst they are flat , up towards your bum, just keep doing it, every night, and every morning, and even if you wake in the night,  I do and always did, and my bend was at 105 within a fortnight. You don't need space for that exercise, just a bed. And when ever posible, rest, ice and massage, you MUST look after you, or you won't be able to look after your daughter and her children. Best of luck, Take care, X
  • Posted

Hi Diana, the only thing I can say to help is ,look after yourself, make time to go to your bed and do the exercises there these are really the only thing that will get you back to being you. Go back to basics meds, ice, and exercise. It really works. Good luck and I look forward to reading that you are improving xx
  • Posted

Sweetie, you are doping way too much, way too soon, the last thing you want to do is bend whilst holding a newborn in your arms. If the kids are pre-school set them little tasks.  You can hold the babe in your arms and sit, whilst sitting, concetrate on bending that leg/straightening and lifting.  If your legs need massaging, get the little ones to do it, those little fingers can feel marvellous (they can see your scar and will be careful).  Let them pretend they are doctors.  If your daughter takes the baby, do your exercises with the older ones.  Tell they you have to do them and they can do them to. Its a good excuse to sit down as well.

Please do not over do it. These early months are critical; muscles need building/strengthening, scar tissue needs working on; that is one of the most contributing factors in not being able to bend your knee (not the scar that you see, but the bit UNDER the surface as well).  My best therapy is earbuds and loud music; takes your mind off the pain.

This all up to you now, the medical profession have done their bit, they are now not interested.  Sounds cold, I know, but if they coddled you, you wouldn't do as much.  Be brave, get your daughter to help out more, she will have to take over the role of mother of 3 when you go home!!  Above all else you are not being selfish, miserable, a horrible mother, or any other label you are feeling.

• Posted

hi diana wow poor you i dont think you really realise how much surgery you have had in the last few months and what it takes out of your body  never mind helping your daughter out with her kids how could you in all honesty do your excersises properly and have enough rest which by your post you really need ,i feel as i had bi lateral as well as revision know how hard it is to get your energy back after this kind of surgery im afraid you need time out maybe your daughter could give you time for yourself during the day !! i too have granchild and found my own children do think that i should help out with the childminding its hard work minding my granchild and i love having her but so happy when she goes home and im shattered after her and thats only one child for months after my bi lateral i didnt mind her as i was to sore ,tired &basicaly not able to mind her till i was feeling better she had to pay a lady to help out  .   look your bend will improve it just needs a little work but maybe if you could arrange some physio to get you back on track dont loose heart just take some time for you your daugher probably  dose not realise how tired and worried about the knee sit down and talk to her and work something out good luck to you  you are amazing to have helped your daughter out so soon after soo much ops take care
  • Posted

Congratulations on your newest grandchild!

That's GREAT that you are helping your daughter! Babies are so sweet, and they sure CAN brighten your day!

I do A LOT of stretching in bed. MANY exercises can be done there, too, so just focusing on ones that can be done IN BED will give you plenty of options as well as plenty of ROOM to make them happen.

For me, stretching my hamstrings helps my STRAIGHTENING the most.

For BEND, the best exercises for me are done right in a chair with arms. Sit in the chair comfortably. Now get up from the chair and move your surgical leg back about an inch. Gently now EASE INTO a sit. Hold this about 30 seconds. Repeat by moving your surgical foot BACK another inch. Gently ease into your sit. This is a GREAT exercise and takes NO EXTRA ROOM!

The next chair exercise I do is taking my NON-SURGICAL foot and wrapping it around the ankle of my SURGICAL leg. Gently use your good leg to increase the bend of your surgical leg. Hold 30 seconds, release, and go again.

There is always a way to help yourself with very little room or resources. Take care, enjoy those Grand babies!

We will be first time GRANDPARENTS ANY DAY NOW!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.