going crazy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone else have the mental instability with AS.....I feel like the pain has changed who I am on a mental level and I'm terrified. Or is it all due to the chronic pain.?I'm having an increasingly difficult time dealing with others around me.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Suergogers ~ in which way do you feel unstable? Is it a short fuse or just feeling very upset and sad? I have very low days and then others when I feel much better about life. Could the meds being affecting you? I would definitely speak to your consultant about this. 
    • Posted

what it is I feel is that I already suffer from depression and being in pain makes it worse.....I have seen my doctor and they too feel they are related for me. The pain has literally changed who I am! !!! So hard to adjust to this life compared to how active I was.....UGH!
    • Posted

I think you need much more support, and some counselling possibly. If you have depression and are feeling really unstable it is important to speak to your GP again, he/she has a duty of care. Do you have a supportive group of friends or family? It would be a good idea to tell others how you are feeling so they can support you. More than a few days of feeling very low should be a red flag and a line. I would seek more help and more support. I hope you will soon feel better. The pain has changed me to some degree, but I accept I can not be the jovial person I once was, and am aiming to take ANTI TNF now. Have you considered stepping up your treatment plan so that you are not in so much pain and feel happier as a result?
    • Posted

I'm on humira and two other meds. .....hopefully it'll start doing its job soon. You are fortunate to be able to adjust, I don't think it's that easy for everyone. I also think there are different degrees of severity with AS....it hit me so hard I could barely walk the past two years, today it's better but this is. A process......my pain as been nothing short of extreme More than half the time.

• Posted

Hi suerogers, I have had times where I have felt useless with the pain and lay in bed crying thinking 'why me' and gotten in a terrible state.  The depression hit me very hard the first couple of years but I have managed to control it.  The severity of mine has since changed luckily although the odd flare up does catch me out.  I have probably spend more time off work with the depression than the physical pain.  I was recommended by a physio to 'tuck my tummy in' at all times. This is to strenthen the core to bring stability and strength around the spine.  It has worked for me, it is hard to do as you'll let go and forget but keep it on your mind.  At least give it a try for a few weeks then see how you feel.
  • Posted

Sure AS pain has destroyed my social life, the paint has destroyed my business, and when I came off the antidepress drugs the side effect destroyed what was left “my wife”.
  • Posted

This is a very good treatment to stop you go crazy,"Interferential current stimulation (IFS)" is a type of electrical stimulation. It is believed that IFS permeates the tissues more effectively . IFS has primarily been investigated as a technique to reduce pain, but has also been proposed to increase function of patients with osteoarthritis and to treat other conditions such as dyspepsia, irritable bowel syndrome, and constipation. One downfall not cheap about $5000. 
  • Posted

I assume you are highly intelectual.  I, at first, had severe depression and social disassociative symptoms; therefore, due to the pain I had a scowl on my face and people would ask, "Are you OK?", and it would ignite an explosion of anger internall and, of coarse, I would not let the individual asking the question privy to this knowledge because it would not be polite the otherwise; the source of the question would never understand anyways because your situation is so remote and distant, you feel all alone, distant and far away from anyone who might even remotely understand; but, I do.  The answer is "No!".  You are not going insane, you are in severe pain, and others will not understand.  I would recommend becoming strong mentally, try to conquer any depression you might suffer, and other mental adversaries of that nature; and, you can, because it is all within you an it is a choice.  That from which you suffer is quite real, and thought it may seem you are alone, on the contrary you are not.  I work a Security job that is customer centered, and I have to try very hatd to disconnect from my Chronic, Debilitating situation amd even utilize the suffering through as a fuel.  Like nitrous injectors to a car, realizing that I, We, are pushing through the boundaries which most would have likely given up, long before the point at which we have arrived.  So my answer is no, you're not changed from the pain, mentally, unless you choose to yield to the pain and allow it to consume you completely.  I don't believe you wish to yield to the pain, though; since you are here and asking I believe you wish to push through and find happiness, as impossible as that may seem, but it is possible.  Possible by accepting that you are where you are, in severe, crushing pain; a pain under which most would have long since been crushed, and under which most would have conceded long ago.  I have suffer from AS, and Pectus Excavatum from birth.  You have made it to this point, and younare an extraordinary person, I praise you for being brave enough to come here and confess what you most internally frar to perfect strangers.  You are brave, you are strong, and you are real.

I hope this helps you.

• Posted

It definitely affects me mentally!!!!! I'm having a bad flareup and have been able to sleep thru a night forth east 5 months......I'm sick of it!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.