Going crazy on fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I think I'm going crazy (if I'm not there already) and I would like some outside input or, at the very least, to share my experience.

After (what I thought was) a particularly bad quarter life crisis, I went to see a psychiatrist last month, was diagnosed with MDD, BPD and orthorexia. I was put on 20mg Fluoxetine and 25mg Seroquel. I just went for my follow up appointment last Thursday and my Fluoxetine dosage was increased to 40mg. This is my first time taking Fluoxetine (4th antidepressant overall) but also I'm back on antidepressants after believing myself yo be 'miraculously healed' and not taking anything for ten years.

How I made it through those ten years is a wonder to me. At this stage in my life I have to face the fact that I really have nothing else in life to try to make me feel better, to hope for and cling to, or to live for. I feel like my mental state has gotten significantly worse over time. As I write this I am still in bed at noon after I woke up two hours before I had to get ready for church and still couldn't be arsed to go. This is a common thing: I don't do anything if I don't have to because I can't find the physical and emotional strength to get out of bed, brush my teeth, comb my hair, find something to wear, actually go out in public, be judged by people, ignore them, make small talk with others I cannot stand...etc. I just don't want to do anything. I'm tired all the time.

I'm hoping the Fluoxetine works. Around week three I had one or two really good days where I didn't hate the moment I realised I was still alive in the morning, then it sort if plateaued so the doc increased my dose to 40mg a day. So I'm back experiencing the tiredness, the nausea and the feverishness until my body gets used to this dosage. My questions are: a) have I finally gone crazy? B) has anyone else come back from a similarly bad mental state? C) How long did it take for you to get the full effect of the Fluoxetine and feel better?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I cant helo u because im on mine for anxiety and only 20mg but i can tell u the first 3 weeks were hell i litrally thought id end uo in a mental hospital n had gone mad.... your not crazy its just silly thoughts in your head sounds like u may have a little anxiety with those thoughts. Im i week 7 now and feeling 70% better. It does take awhile for the medication to get the right balance.... i hope u feel better soon my dear. Sending a big hug x
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement Hollee. I must say I have hope for this one (Fluoxetine) because the one really good day I had (circa week 3) was pretty awesome. Here's hoping :D!

• Posted

That one good day is a great start... they will come more and more i promise it just takes time xx
  • Posted

Stay on 20mg 3 weeks is not long enough to see if it going to help,with this medicine low.dose is better
    • Posted

Hope you do well. I'm taking 1 mg of liquid for 12days going to raise dose very slow very sensitive to all medicine.lve had every side effect you can have even on that small dose hope to start going up on dose soon right now I'm going to stay on this for few more days to see if it helps.I guess that's one reason I told you to lower dose.

• Posted

I totally understand your point. I feel pretty spaced out myself now. The side effects (nausea, headaches, agitation, detachment) came back with a vengeance after increased to 40mg so I'm hoping I can stay at this dosage without having to increae again.

• Posted

Felt like I was going Nutts first 3 weeks very hard work causing anxiety stomach and dowel problems. It then eases but can come back for a day or two but settles again now 6 weeks in and starting to see improvements. Still a way to go but stick at it and don't be too keen to up your dose it can take a long time for it to work. It's been very hard but I am determined to get through this as I gave up before and everything came back

• Posted

Five weeks in today, Paul. I'm passed the halfway mark. I might as well stick with it, right? :D

• Posted

Yes stick with it, I came off fluoxetine due to symptoms and it was a bad idea, I ended up back at square one. Week 5 ups and downs that pass don't let them get on top of you only temporary. Good luck......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.