Going insane! Positive advice only please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody

Have had a few floaters in my eyes since I was a teen and they have never bothered me - up until the last 2 weeks!

Have had my eyes tested and they are, thankfully, the completely normal harmless kind - optician says he thinks they are more mobile now which is why I am noticing them ALL THE TIME!

I probably have about 4/5 in each eye and they are constantly swirling around in my line of vision, I'm finding it very hard to ignore them.

Any positive stories from people who have them and have learnt to successfully ignore them to the point where they don't see them?

Anyone found they DONT get much worse with age?

I'm only 26 so praying this isn't the case!

Thanks for any comments

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I've been dealing with eye floaters since I was younger (18, almost 19 currently). They never used to bother me, until they started obscuring my vision a good bit. I get them, all day, but they're horrible when I'm about to have a migraine attack. I lose 70% of my vision an hour before the attack happens, and I also, get an anxiety attack during that time, as well... Anyways, sometimes when I'm not thinking of the small eye floaters, they tend to just sort of "fade out," but sometimes they don't...
  • Posted

Dont focus on them,if i only had that many id be elated!
    • Posted

Started in my 20s,im now almost 60 and hate to say thay are worse,not little black dots,small sheets of cloudy vtreous that drifts back and forth,plus one large black one in left eye. Hard to forget them when you see them 24/7 and they vary in intensity day to day.
  • Posted

I had many floaters in my early 30s, which I thought I would never be able to ignore. But soon I was ignoring them without even realising it.

Then, a few years later, I found they had vanished altogether!

Good that you did the ground work and got the professional's opinion.

Now you can relax and get on with your life. One day you will find they are no longer there!

• Posted

I've only just seen this post, thanks for the reassuring reply..... Am slightly less anxious about them now but my god they are a pain in the ass!

I've got a lovely clear snake in my left eye that's huge and he follows my eye around all day long ...... To be able to ignore him would be bliss!

:-)

• Posted

Maybe just befriend him and give him a name. It might relax you.
    • Posted

My extra floaters are from a common eye condition called posterior vitreous detachment that often happens as a person ages.
    • Posted

I'm not being flip. I'm a psychotherapist and I'm being serious.

Sometimes the things that distress us the most, which we know rationally are in actual fact trivial but still make us very unhappy... these are at times best addressed and accepted, even befriended and taken care of, before they can go their own way.

• Posted

I could easily ignore the usual floaters,these are much worse,some opaque sheets that obscure vision as they drift back and forth. Cant ignore them as i have also a macular pucker and dry eyes. What do i do to forget it??
  • Posted

Feeling very despondent .. Had a discussion with a consultant in London yesterday just about possible treatments for eye floaters - he has told me that unless my floaters are fairly static (which they are the opposite - very mobile!) that I will very unlikely apadt to them!

X

• Posted

Well he's wrong.

Because mine were jiggling about all over the place and I adapted to them and then they went away.

See if you can find a serene centred place in yourself. Meditation might work for you. No floaters with your eyes shut, eh?

• Posted

Thank you so much, you've been a big help.

Will give it a go smile

• Posted

I avoid normal living because of them. Not a way to live,I have health ins with a 6000 deductable so i cant keep going to doctors. I stay at home and close my eyes alot,isolate myself and feel very depressed i know its not normal but low vision is a very big deal. My biggest love is outdoors and nature. I cant enjoy that when nothing looks quite the same. The macular pucker could involve a future delicate surgery,very scarey. I love to have fun. Anything i can repeat in my head thats positive to get me through this??
    • Posted

I said it to Danielle and I would also suggest it for you, Lee: Meditation.

I know this may not sound like what you want to hear at the moment, but some would say you're in a unique position to go deeply into meditation, since it involves sitting with your eyes closed.

Our eyes are our windows on the world and inasmuch as they are that, they are precious beyond belief. But, you may not be aware of it, there is another world inside that has been discovered by the sages of the East and we reach it through meditation.

If you live in a decent climate, it needn't restrict you to being indoors. Meditating in the open air, where there are birds and breezes and the sounds of rivers or ocean waves and so on is a beautiful way to start the journey inwards.

Your depression comes from thinking about your situation. In meditation we go beyond thinking.

It takes application, but it looks as if life has pointed you in this direction. See if you're ready to rise to the challenge?

I would be happy to tak to you more about this exploration if you want to message me personally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.