Going off my head with worry

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had a 45mm bowel polyps removed. What if it's cancerous? Having to wait for results is sending me crazy. I'm convinced because it's so large it will be cancerous. If so what happens next? I'll end up in a psychiatric ward soon because I'm sick with worry

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Pami56

I had a Cancerous Tumour in my colon last year - removed successfully-and I am still here to talk about it.

I know how you feel I didn't know I had it until after a colonoscopy-I am over 65 and was terrified like yourself- but if it comes to having an op don't be afraid -you'll come out the other side relieved and pleased it's done.

Interested to hear what the consultant will say to you

I was nervous right until the op (being wheeled into op theatre)!!Next thing I knew was back in the ward-it was done.

.Your Gp can give you something to calm you down -

Good luck - and take care.(May not be as bad as you think).

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Everything was clear except for 2 polyps. One small flat one and one large stalked one. That's the one worrying me. I'm supposed to be going to New York a week Sunday and I know I won't have results by then. I don't see how I can go. I've not got organised at all for this holiday because worrying about colonoscopy yesterday and now this. I can't focus on anything

• Posted

You need something to take your mind off 'it' - (I've been where you are and it's an awful feeling )- but all I can say is go ahead with your New York trip-have a glass of something 'fizzy' - and try to concentrate on something else.

Can you contact your Gp surgery/ or the hospital  before you leave UK-and try to find out what your results are - ahead of your trip.

You might be lucky and get the info early ?

• Posted

Thank you so much for bothering to reply. You are very kind. I'm seeing a nurse at my practice on Thursday as I need pills for flying as I do every year (as you can guess I'm an extremely anxious person by nature anyway). I will ask then if there is anyway I could get the results before I go. I can't bear the thought of a letter waiting here for me when I get home. I know I won't be able to enjoy my holiday and I rather know good or bad before I go. My poor husband won't enjoy it either having to put up with me stressing for 2 weeks.

Your message has sincerely helped me knowing what you have been through and how you are now. I'm completely neurotic and if I hear cancer mentioned I'm thinking "this is the end". I'm 59 and both my sisters died of cancer so I do get extra screening which is great but it makes me paranoid about every ache and pain I get. Thanks once again. You've been so helpful

• Posted

My father's family were  wiped out because of cancer-personally I never thought it would happen to me-

(father lived the longest and conquered it-lived to be 92)!Had it just over 2nd world war when he was late 40's).

Enjoy yourself - have a great trip -don't let the b............ get you down!This was(Fathers favourite saying-)

Let us know what the results are- we are interested!

Regards

Sue x

• Posted

Thanks again. I love your attitude. Wish I was more like that.

I will keep you posted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.