going off tramadol. need tips and support

Posted , 10 users are following.

Tips and things that help.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm dealing with the same thing! Tramadol withdrawal seems to be pretty harsh. Hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Mike, If you can taper off slowly, that's the best way. If you're going to go cold turkey, which I did, I will share my suggestions. You will feel awful. Tell a trusted adult or physician what you're about to do. If you can stay home for about a week, that will make it easier. Buy an anti-diarrhea medication to battle that inevitable issue. If you can ask a doctor to prescribe Klonopin or Xanax, it will help. If not, get an over the counter sleep aid and stay on it 24/7. There will be a lot of sweating and chills, rapid heartbeat, trembling involved. Try and remember it is normal and temporary. I also did a lot of praying and that helped me a lot. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration and to flush your system. I hope you get through it easier than a bunch of us folks here. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Oh, and most importantly, STAY AWAY FROM ALCOHOL. It intensifies withdrawal symptoms and prolongs them. Trust me on that one.
    • Posted

Hi Michele. I'm currently 4 days cold turkey and feeling terrible. I must admit, I have been drinking beer to sleep at night and then saw your comment about alcohol. How badly does it affect withdrawal?
    • Posted

For me, it was awful. But I was drinking hard liquor. It intensified those horrible feelings and made them last longer. It may take another week or so for your body to adjust. But you'll feel better faster without any alcohol. Try taking an extra PM type of sleep aid. If you have the restless leg issue, I found that wearing tight socks that go up to the knee eliminated that issue. I am 7+ months Tramadol free. You can do this. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Firstly well done for coming off this horrible drug!

Keep hydrated, potassium foods like bananas help with restless legs, ibuprofen and paracetamol for aches and pains, sleep aids like diphahydramine (not sure on the spelling) its a sedative antihistamine for the insomnia you MAY get and most of all positivity....you can and will get through this take care 😊

• Posted

Do it very very slowly. Drop by the smallest amount you can and hold for a week to ten days, or longer if you need to. Hold each dose until you stop having WDs. When I came off them I could only get the capsules so the last 50mg was the hardest. I had to open the capsules and pour away some of the powder. You can also make a liquid to make it easier to taper. Use a mixture of water and something sweet like maple syrup. Mix a ratio of 1ml of water to 10mg of tramadol (so one tramodol to 5mls of liquid).
  • Posted

Before lowing your dose first spread out the tablets you are taking so that even though you are on the same dose as its more spread out your peak level will be lower. You will notice the difference but its a good first step and makes reducing the dose a little bit easier.
  • Posted

I've cold turkey since Thursday so nearly 7 days it's bin a absolute nightmare it's soooo hard many times I nearly give in and went and got some trammies but I didn't I feel great today I'm so proud of myself only thing I used to get me through it was sleeping tablets as it's worse at night trying to sleep with the shooting pains. Restless legs and sweats if I can do it you can do it. Look yaself I away for a week and kick it
    • Posted

Oh by the way I was swallowing about 20-30 tabs a day 50mg. It can be done just need the willpower I'm surprised I did it believe me it's hard cold turkey so if you do decide to go that way don't expect a comfortable ride
  • Posted

My heart goes out to all of you. I am a little over 6 months Tramadol free after a trip to hell with the cold turkey approach. Best advice I have is to tell someone you trust. Fill them in on what you're dealing with. Drink lots of water, keep an anti-diarrheal medication and STAY AWAY FROM ALCOHOL. Don't be fooled into thinking that it may help you relax. The OPPOSITE IS TRUE. Alcohol will INTENSIFY withdrawal symptoms and PROLONG THEM. And do not EVER purchase Tramadol from online pharmacies. They're not the same and will make you sicker. They're counterfeit from India. Be strong, be well and don't be afraid to go for professional help if it becomes unbearable. So many of us have been there, thinking we made a better pain relief choice by staying away from the most popular narcotics. Tramadol has fooled everyone including doctors and pharmacists. You can do this. God bless.
  • Posted

Ok, first of all how many mg were you or are you taking a day? An how long have you been on Tramadol.? That makes a big difference in the withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

Wow I've been in it for 17 years! sad I take 5 in the am & try not 2 take any in Eve. But the withdrawals are awful in-between the doses!!! I've got severe scoliosis & my dr said ifvny surgery is not done soon that I'm months away from an old folks home then death from my ribcage collapsing my lungs. So I'm in legitimate pain with an addiction to a very evil drug to boot! Scared. Don't know what I should do. Sorry so long. I just have zero family left & same # of friends. So I get long winded when u finally get2 talk/vent.
    • Posted

Molinda, that's why we're here. To vent through our issues, ask for advice, share out stories and experiences and to help one another. If there's anything I can do, please ask.

Michele

• Posted

Awwwww! You are too nice! Thank you so very much for your time and consideration!! (If you don't mind I just might take you up on that offer!?! :-)!

I just feel so alone in a world full of people!!! :-(

• Posted

I think I can speak for all of us here in various Tramadol forums, someone is always there to listen and offer advice when asked. <3 i am in us, so time zones are a bit off, but will always respond. i="" am="" in="" us,="" so="" time="" zones="" are="" a="" bit="" off,="" but="" will="" always="">
    • Posted

Yah Tramadol is the worst in hiding it's true self until after you've already been on it. I'm in the US too in KANSAS CITY MISSOURI. Smack dab in the middle of the country

• Posted

Almost 7 months to the day I am Tram-free!! It can be done. After the hardest part of withdrawal subsides, I've taken amino acid supplements that aid in the healing of brain function. Still battling the vicious weight game after quitting cold turkey, but I will get there. 10 lbs. to go.
    • Posted

WTG! Congratulations!!! Each day,hour,min,sec. Is a Milestone in itself! WTG! On 7 MONTHS!!!! WOW! I envy you! Your my hero!!! 4real!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.