Going round the Bend

Posted , 5 users are following.

My THR is doing fine (3 wks PO) BUT my Total Knee Replacement on the other leg is really playing Up due to me putting all my weight etc on it due to new Hip. This is the second time that my knee and surrounding thigh the muscles are in total spasm. I can't lift the leg, it's buckling as I stand, stairs are a hazardous nightmare!! I need this leg to function re new hi other side!! I'm at a loss!!! Taken pain meds, Valium, ice /heat AGONY. Dr , Surgeon, Physio keep saying it'll all resolve when hip side gets stronger!! Well HELLOOOOOOOOO what the hell am I supposed to do when it's acute like this???? Can't get into bed properly. Loads of pain, can't sit!! Don't want mess hip up.!!!! OMG this is one Nasty joke!!! NOT

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Gaby, you are going through the wars.

That's a bit of a B..... with knee on opposite side playing up.

Do you use sticks or crutches? Β what about 'under-arm' crutches (seen on ebay), would they help?

Graham

• Posted

When I'm like this I HAVE to use Crutch!! Can't use underarm my back etc couldn't take it!! Gonna take MORE VALIUM soon then I'll beπŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
    • Posted

You poor thing, I really feel for you.

I just cannot begin to imagine how bad you feel.

Always seems to be the way,one good day followed by a bad one.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi Gaby

You sound desperate for help. Has anyone suggested a bit of nursing help?

How are you supposed to get into bed? What about asking GP for a bit of home care and support until the hip side gets stronger.

Just how do they think you are managing?

Social services maybe?

How old is your new knee?

Sorry, too many questions, I know.

So sorry for you.

Shirley

• Posted

My knee is 2.5 years old. Never been any trouble!!

They all keep saying oh it'll be ok soon as your hip side can take more weight!!

Today is a nightmare!!

I'm massaging, heat/ cold/ pills exercise you name it!!

Not funny!!

My husband is hysterical ......

You would not believe I had such a good day yesterday!

Stairs are flipping nightmare!!!

I'm SCREAMING GOING NUTSπŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ™ŠπŸ˜±πŸ˜±

• Posted

hi gaby,

whoa. ... that sounds awful. ....

you are 3 weeks post-op. ...yesterday you had a good day and was out

and about for 7 hours !!!! that's a long time. ..

you might have overdone it. ..

however, if it is that bad, maybe you could go to urgent care. ..

sending you healing rays .

love

renee ❀

• Posted

Taken more meds in bed with ice. Can slightly bend it but can't lift it at all! If no better tomoz I'll call my Dr. Stairs are now a no no . Think doing them twice today and the way I've had to come up has made it 1000 times worse! Physio's told me doesn't matter if I go downstairs on the wrong leg but 100% under no circumstances come up on the hip leg so now I don't have any legs to come up on!!
    • Posted

A night downstairs then Gaby.

Best wishes, hope you feel better soon

Graham

• Posted

hi gaby,Β 

just checking in with you .... I hope you are doing better -

a week or so ago I made a wrong move and truly was in agony for days ..

( forgot to exit the car with 2 legs as a passenger ...)

all is better nowΒ 

be gentle to little Gaby

renee

• Posted

Hi thank you for asking! At this moment just awful! Dr came torn tendons in my knee. Have to have bed rest until it settles a bit and then he says I have to sleep downstairs on my couch and no stairs as this is the root of the problem. Until I can go up on both legs!

I'm really not happy about this, but no choice. Either stuck up here in bed, or more normal life staying down but no shower Eeeew!!! But Dr says nothing wrong with a strip washπŸ™ˆπŸ™Š

So in a day or so I'll pack up all I need and move down. Lucky I have a lounge and Tv room! & Downstairs Loo etc

What a joke.... Hip good and all this with my knee! Xx

• Posted

What a bind, you would not have expected that after 21/2 years.

Perhaps we don't take the resting part of recovery seriously.

We have been told so many times since our op to move,walk,

exercise,physio, bend,stretch etc that the four letter word REST

is seen as a negative, not a positive part of recovery.

I hope the pain and swelling go soon, it is a good job you got

the doc in.

love Cathie

• Posted

With hindsight I should have built up my knee so much more! I thought I had but never dreamt the muscles weren't nearly strong enough! Also not walking properly for the last 5 months re hip didn't help!!
  • Posted

hi gaby,

whoa. ... that sounds awful. ....

you are 3 weeks post-op. ...yesterday you had a good day and was out

and about for 7 hours !!!! that's a long time. ..

you might have overdone it. ..

however, if it is that bad, maybe you could go to urgent care. ..

sending you healing rays .

love

renee ❀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.