Going to a wedding 3 weeks after surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I know this is probably a really lame question, but it's doing my head in! I'm having an ACL reconstruction in 2 weeks and going to a wedding 3 weeks after that. I would normally wear a shortish dress and heels but I don't think I'm going to be able to as I think I'm still going to be in a brace. I'm thinking of wearing a maxi dress but no idea what kind of shoes to wear! It will need to be flats but I don't know what kind. I'm only 5ft 4in so I'm short anyway, so I don't want to look swamped in a long dress and flat shoes!

Has anyone else been to a dressy event soon after surgery and what did you wear?!

Thanks all!x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would wear flat shoes. It is not worth risking more pain and/or swelling by wearing inappropriate footwear so soon after surgery.

I speak from recent experience due to a deep vein thrombosis.

Alternatively take flat shoes with you to change into as and when.

• Posted

Your biggest concern is making the event. You are going to be in a high level of pain and possibly with a brace or ace bandage and on crutches. You will have just undergone surgery which will be rough on you. I would suggest discussing this with the c surgeon well in advance. Remember you are having extensive surgery to correct a problem. Don't be too eager to get your life back that you wind up having additional damage. Knees are very personal. I haven't had cal but I'm in my 5th go round with completely having to rebuild the knee/leg. There is no fast track. The body will have a lot to say about it. Whatever your progress......best of luck.
  • Posted

You could always still wear a short dress and make your brace or whatever contraption you may be needing very stylish. Have some fun with it without over-shadowing the bridal party.

I hope you will be in a condition to attend!

• Posted

I hope so too. Hope you enjoy the wedding.

• Posted

I'm five-one and dumpy and can't manage heels and often wear maxi dresses with ballet pump or flat strappy sandals. I always think it's about the accessories. Make a dramatic statement with makeup hair and jewellery and people will remember your face, not that it was a foot below theirs!

I'm going to a black tie dinner dance thing soon and I'll still have a cane, so I've decided to make a feature of it and go black tie myself instead of a dress, sort of a burlesque dance hall type vibe, with a basque style waistcoat, cravat and one of those little top hat style fascinators. And of course my NHS grey cane will be decorated black and silver.

enjoying the event and not having it ruined by being in agony is the most important thing anyway.

• Posted

Show it off, much better.  People will be more aware that there is something wrong as opposed to you wearing something long, not being able to move and people thinking you are being "off".  Although there are a lot of people out there that have "injury blindness" I am sure you will have a whale of a time. 
  • Posted

Thanks everyone! I really hope to be in shape for the wedding. I'm generally quite fit (I teach fitness classes outside of my full time job) so I'm pretty determined to get back to full fitness as soon as possible (obviously without jeopardising my recovery). I have no intentions of doing any crazy dance moves at the wedding either!

Totally going to be wearing flats - just need to decide between maxi or mini!

Saz2020, love your idea for the black tie party!x

• Posted

Have you thought about wearing a trouser suit? They go well with flat shoes.
  • Posted

Hi I went to a wedding a week after knee replacement, I wore fiat Valletta pumps and a dress I got from Debenhams it wasn't short or long but in between half way done my shin, I'm 5'4 as well .

Couldn't see dressing at all.

take care Kaye x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.