Going to try this

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I am looking for anyone who has tried anything remotely like this. Let me start with just a little background. 1 year ago I suffered a perforated bowel due to ruptured diverticulitus. I was septic, in severe pain with a high fever and high sense of dread. Before this episode I had no idea I suffered from this condition. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital & another 2 months with a pic line adminstering antiobiotics 3 to 4 times daily. Well it has been a year & except for occassional discomfort I have been healthy and  supplementing fiber as well as probiotics. About 3 weeks ago I had a bout or flare up. I was put back on antibiotics orally only to have to go on a stronger dose as my symptoms returned. 

Now my pain is more acute and I am tired of feeling like this. So I want to know if anyone has tried natural or holistic means of treatment?

What I am currently going to try is fasting (I am 48 hours in and drinking plenty of water with the occassional shot of fruit juice in it). I am also drinking 4 to 5 tablespoons of diluted apple cider vinager, green tea, & lemon water. After extensive reading, I am now going to buy Aloe Vera Juice & drink 8 to 12 oz. daily. My goal no solids, liquid fast for 3 to 7 days. I have to travel for work and be on a plane early Tuesday morning.

Looking for anyone who has attempted similair. I can also offer details, support & opinions to anyone who also suffers from this.  Thanks to everyone, Thanks to anyone.

J.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds interesting.

I've not tried this, but let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Andy.....So far 3 full days (72 hrs) fasting or resting the bowel, and drinking only water, green tea, a little diluted fruit juice, organic ACV in water, taking a probiotic twice daily & adding Aloe Vera juice twice a day seems to be offering some anti-inflamatory assistance. I really hope I can get relief. The flare up is now going on a month. Like Madge I have started a food diary. Of course right now I am just documenting my lack of food & my attempts at treating. Thanks!
  • Posted

Sounds exactly like my situation, 1 month ago totally out of the blue the exact same happened to me. I'm in the process of reading all these threads and taking advice and picking up pointers. Aloe vera is mentioned regularly, don't know about the rest tho tbh, I'd be interested in your findings. Good luck.
  • Posted

I have found aloe vera juice helpful. After my first episode with diverticulitis ( hospitalised with a drip for four days and with antibiotics that made me feel a lot sicker than the diverticulitis symptoms) I started taking it. Over Christmas I ran out and didn't take it for a couple of weeks and had a minor flare up. Since then I take it every day (nowhere near as much as you propose) and have been ok apart grom the odd twinge every so often. I also find eating large meals is a problem and after keeping a food diary for a while that tough meat is a no -no. I have reduced my consumption of our home made bread too which has helped.
  • Posted

Andy, Alex, Madge.... Thanks so much for your responses & questions. Firsrt Madge you are absolutely right, I went out yesterday afternoon & found a health food store. The Aloe juice can be purchased concentrated or ready to drink. In reading the instructions on the bottle (and not what I read on the net) 2 oz twice daily. I started last night & I believe in waking this morning I have some real relief.

I want everyone reading this to understand that the fast or lack of solid food is 100% for the ourpose of resting the bowel. Once I decide that I feel well enough I will start with a low impact or low fiber diet then gradually work back up to supplementing fiber for a healthy bowel. 

I should also say that anyone suffering from this should absolutely see a doctor. As mentioned in my first post I had to go on a stronger antibiotic. I will be on this antibiotic for another week. So right now this is what im doing & unless it is placebo effect I think I may be getting a little better.

1. Resting the bowel. No solid food (I am on day 3)

2. Drinking plenty of fluids including mix of water & juice

3. 1 cup of coffee in the morning then 2 cups of green tea with lemon & honey

4. 2 oz. Aloe juice a.m. 2 oz. Aloe juice before bed

5. Once daily 3 tablespoons Organic Apple Cider Vinager (with mother)mixed with a large glass of water 8 to 12 oz.

I am hoping all this keeps me hydrated while the bowel rests & heals.

Alex first take advise from your doctor. The second I experience a fever or the pain is more than just uncomfortable I would head to the Doc or ER.

• Posted

I was in a rush when I typed this morning. I meant our situations are the same with the perforated bowel. Yep, been in hospital, on iv antibiotics for 4 days then free fluids etc etc. Referred back to the doctor then hospital again as had a mild flare up so back on antibiotics. I hadn't even heard of all this a month ago, didn't know it existed. I've been given the all clear to travel and start exercise again, but if I'm truthful I'm a bit scared of both...
    • Posted

I looked up (on the net so take it or leave it) that travel is okay. So I will be on a plane 4 times next week. If I am back to eating by then it is going to be low residue/impact/fiber. Lean meat (chicken or fish) White bread (no whole grains), white rice, crackers, baked potatoes no skins. I am going to stick with the the green tea, Aloe Juice & plenty of fluids. Unless I see a negative, I will probably stick with the vinager mixture. After all my reading it really seems to help with digestion. My doctor says countries with high fiber diets have virtually no cases of this disorder. So once I know I am healed from this episode I am doing 2 things. Going back to a high fiber low fat diet (no tough meat like Alex says) and scheduling a scope. You know there are not alot (I couldn't find any other active)  groups, rooms, chats, forums out there where people are talking about this. So I thanks for sharing it helps. I have also read that regular exercise helps. I too need to be more active. One thing I remember about the hospital antibiotics was they too made me feel so sick. Hang in there and let us all know how you're doing. If anyone was wondering I'm a 41 year old US man. My doctor & all my reading says this is much more common in the 60 and older group so I would love to know if others younger than that are having episodes. I'm hungry.
  • Posted

I am 63 and was told after a barium enema when I was 49 that I had one or two small diverticules-nothing to worry about, normal for a middle aged person etc. I have followed a high fibre diet for years with homemade wholewheat bread with seeds, fruit and veg, dried fruit and nuts aplenty. After my first episode ( which I am convinced was due to being on paracetamol after a motorbike accident) last year I had a colonoscopy to rule out cancer and my consultant told me that I had widespread diverticules so my high fibre diet had not worked that well! I have since read stuff on the net that says that a high fibre diet can be counterproductive once you have diverticular disease as eating too much fibre can make stools too bulky so they irritate the colon. The answer is to avoid constipation without inflaming the diverticules. I think the aloe vera juice definitely has a role in reducing inflammation.
    • Posted

Madge.....Thanks so much for telling me some of your story. Considering the pain, discomfort & percentage of people suffering with this, I really am shocked more people arent talking about it. Last week I had to cover about 1700 miles for work in just 3 days. I really think sitting in the driving position for 9 hours every day contributed to aggravating the flare up I was already experiencing. After my hospital stay (10 days) and eventually being able to rid myself of the peritnitous, my doctor advised fiber suplements to to keep stool soft. He recommended after my infimation markers decreased to a high fibre diet. So for about a year now my flare ups never lasted more than 1 day. This one is going on a month. So now I am resorting to whatever I can do to get some relief. I have to say after only taking the Aloe Vera juice twice (last night & this morning) I think it is really helping. For others reading this I also take pill form probiotics. I guess I will give the fast a another day or 2 and see where I'm at. I am sure resting the colon is also a contributing factor.
  • Posted

Hope your flare up settles down. I think it is important to try and resolve them without antibiotics if possible. Until my first episode I had not taken any form of antibiotic for more than 10 years and I was shocked at how ill they made me feel. After I finished them I suffered from acid reflux for a couple of weeks which I am sure was due to the disturbance of the gut bacteria. The probiotics seemed to make this worse.

A food diary is a big help especially if you record any twinges. It has helped to pinpoint my problems with tough meat. I think a Christmas dinner of roast wild boar (we live in France) set off my last flare up!

I am convinced that sitting is generally stressful to the body particularly the digestive system as well as the spine. I would advise you to spend as much non travelling time as possible lying down and if you are in an office get one of those kneeling seats or a walking desk. Sitting in cars is particularly bad I think. A motorbike offers a slightly better sitting position. Even so I find spending too long sitting on the bike makes my guts feel squashed up.

• Posted

Hello~ I saw you thread, and I thought maybe you could try another simple thing About me... I'm 43, and I'd had emergency surgery 6 months ago which resulted in a colostomy. I had undiagnosed diverticulitis, which had caused a ruptured colon, sepsis. Same thing as you, up and down symptoms. I've also found laying down as much as possible is the best healing position.  I have been researching nonstop, trying to find the reason why diverticulitis even starts... Like you, I'm on probiotics and fiber supplements. Also meats affect me horribly. What I've found that makes constipation worse, is when I would eat a sandwich or burger. After researching more, I came across several articles saying gluten is a huge factor in developing diverticulitis. So, for the last three weeks I have been eating gluten free. Thank goodness there are a lot of gluten free breads and parstries that have been developed. Because I am a sucker for carbs. Anything baked like breads, cakes, cookies, pizza, burgers... Love them all!  Anyway, HUGE difference... My upper stomach, starting right under my breasts , has always been slightly bloated looking. It's gone. My stomach is flat. No more random twinges in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen, no more fevers. Food cravings are gone. Even better, PMS is gone! I recommend looking up online gluten and diverticulitis and read the articles. I think that, in conjunction with what you're doing, might help you. I'm going to try the aloe Vera juice, as I haven't read much about it. :-)
    • Posted

Lita thanks so much for the advise. I have never been diagnosis with a gluten intolerance or celiacs, but last year before my first episode with the rupture, I went about 4 weeks eating gluten free. Like you, I noticed a tremendous difference. No more bloating, healthy weight loss, & all around feeling better. I had a hard time sustaining the diet & really need will power. I just finished a 5 day fast as oulined in my other posts & started eating small amounts again. Due to the severity of this flare up I have decided to once again go gluten free. Your right the aggravation, gas, bloating, discomfort it causes in relation to the stomach & bowel is pretty obvious. I also now plan on pushing my doctor to actually test for allergy, intolerance & celiacs. I can only speak for myself, but I now feel there is a direct correlation for the Aloe Vera Juice to be considered a helpful tool in relieving some discomfort. I am now taking it twice a day in 2 or 3 oz doses & it seems to be working. I too need my carbs, especially sandwiches. My problem is I have not yet found gluten free options I really like. So you & anyone else reading this.....Please offer any suggestions. Actually I am trying for the first time ` FOOD LIFE GLUTEN FREE BROWN RICE ENGLISH MUFFINS ` . Like other gluten free options they are pretty dense, but not all in all bad. They really need extra toasting in my opinion. I will check this periodically & offer any options I too come across. I am really glad to hear of your success in managing this. It is refreshing considering how many stories you read. Thanks again.
    • Posted

You live in the UK, right? Do you live in or near a bigger city? I'm hoping you will have access to a large variety of gluten free premade foods. I am a huge consumer of baked goods. I can eat sandwiches, crackers, and cookies all day, lol. Love pizza and pasta too. So for me it is a huge deal to look for gluten free foods. I don't know if you have access to ordering foods online, or some of the same brands as here in the U.S.

Bisquik makes a gluten free mix for pancakes and waffles. Also multipurpose flour to bake your own goodies. There are several brands that make gluten free pasta. Udi's is a company that makes a variety of pretty darn good tasting cookies, muffins, and different breads. Including hot dog and hamburger buns... Plus frozen pizzas. I recommend trying the millet bread before any others. It has a better flavor, and satisfies my bread cravings. Also, Blue Diamond almonds came out with several types of almond crackers. The company that makes Wheat Thins crackers also has Rice Thins in several flavors. Quite crispy and crunchy. I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has a gluten free bakery... Real pastries, cake, cupcakes, pies, etc. I'd even be willing to ship any of the above products to you if it's possible for you to try if you can't access them there.

I've never been diagnosed with gluten allergies or celiacs, I just went by what I read online about how it affects diverticulitis.

Lol I feel your pain! If there weren't these products, there's no way I'd be able to stay gluten free either. I wish you luck in finding some products. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.