Going with Focal Laser Ablation for BPH

Posted , 73 users are following.

Ok, I have decided, I am going in the next 21 days for FLA. I have picked dr. k if the schedule of my wife's treatments can allow it along with his schedule. He is busy with some complicated PCa cases as well as talking about a partially self funded clinical trail scenario for BPH patients. 

If I cannot line up with him, his associate is Walser and I will get him as they still work together at the same hospital. Maybe I can get both involved and get a double bang for my buck. I will let you know soon.

3 likes, 1293 replies

1293 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Best of  luck John. Did you happen to see the Water Jet Ablation Thread? They are doing trials now so the procedure is free ( I think )
  • Posted

Gook luck John Glad you picked something that you agree with.  Water jet Ablation thread  is in alot of trail.  It does say that yhey are trying to help men and it does not give incontience  and trying to same sexual function.  But they do not say if they consider retro ejaculation a sexaul function. Doctor don't  I have e-mail in to them.If it does not it's just like all the rest of the surgerys  Ken

• Posted

Yes you are correct. I will check out water jet. I love the FLA because of the precision. Dr k showed me my ejaculation ducts on my MRI and he will not touch them. He also showed me my nerve bundle for erection and my seminal vessacles and he will not even get in the same zip code as those. So no sexual side effects. He then mapped out on my MRI the areas he will ablate and the complete game plan. He show me how he will remove prostate tissue under my bladder that will allow it to relax back in place and stop the retention of urin in my bladder. The precision with his visualase laser is so good it is up to 1mm. He won't need that but it is used in heart and brain ablations. It is quality precise thecnology. 

Both these doctors are are world class interventional radiologist. They have worked together a while and done amazing work. I am sure glad they are on prostate work now. I will give everyone a blow by blow and if anyone want more concise detail just ask me to pm you my contact info or tell me to pm you.

• Posted

I'm very happy for you. Some doctors do not consider a mans ejaculation a function they just over look it or just say you don't need it at our age.  I praise Dr. S for what he is doing.  Ken    

• Posted

Tried to send you guys the info update but for some reason this site moderator will not let me send it AND they dont even explain or educate as to why?
    • Posted

When you get a chance, can you give us an update on how this worked for you?

Thanks

• Posted

Good luck to you j12080.  I wish I had known about Laser Ablation before I had TURP.  I am doing ok but another option would have been nice.
    • Posted

Joe I know it's to late now but FLA has been on the internet for years.  I do hope all goes well with the turp.  I will keep you in my prayers  Ken

• Posted

How long ago did you have TURP? Any regrets? Sometimes TURP is a catch all term with different ways of removing tissue. How was your tissue removed?
  • Posted

Good luck with your procedure and please let us know how you progress. I too have been considering having Dr. K perform this procedure and ablate a small 3+3 lesion. But the primary purpose is to try and improve my urinary symptoms.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that about your PCa but I will also have a suspicious spot abalated by karamanian when he does my BPH procedure. i would highly advise you to just call him. Good Luck and get it ablated and out of you. There is little to no down time. I had a friend do FLA for PCa 3+3 leasion and he went sight seeing that afternoon. My wife said when I do the ablation for BPH, we are going to tour NASA that afternoon!!!! 

• Posted

yes for  2 to 5 days usually though S tell you no. Understand you will swell and pinch off the urethera for a short period of time.
    • Posted

yes for  2 to 5 days usually though Spreling  tells you no. Understand you will swell and pinch off the urethera for a short period of time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.