Got advanced osteoarthritis in knees

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just as I've given up my codeine habit (well my 1200mg a day habit has been helping mask the pain) my knees which have been bad for a while turn out to have advanced osteoarthritis. I'm 37.

I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift and its agony. Even when I just rest now it's got cold they hurt.

Tried paracetamol and ibuprofen - nothing.

Does anyone know what they can do? Will I end up back on painkillers. I'm just about to go back to work but driving is dangerous as they get stiff in any position.

Last took codeine in August. I'm still really struggling with my mental health. And my anger. I think I need anger management I constantly loose it with people.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sue I have osteoarthritis and take codeine because I can't take anti inflammatory medication. However for some time I've been prescribed Nefopam also known as Acupan. You can take it with other pain killers but it's not an opiate therefore not supposedly addictive. It is given to post operative patients and ladies in labour so it's obviously strong. I take it when I find my other medication doesn't work and it is effective.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will have a Google I've never heard of those.

Where do you have it? Do you tend to get it other places once you have it? I was just planning a job switch but it's very physical work. Now I'm thinking I won't be able to cope.

Thanks for the reply.

Sue

• Posted

I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders, hands, knees and feet. It was diagnosed by X-Ray's after I was referred to a rheumatologist. I'd had a raised rheumatoid factor so my GP referred me to her. However blood tests since have been ok. I retired early almost 5 years ago without any symptoms then 3 years ago I started to have a very painful shoulder, it then just got worse and my other joints started to hurt. I'm not sure I would have coped at work to be honest. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.