got mirtazipine, had bad reaction to fluoxitine,

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was on fluoxitine for 2 weeks, felt good, then all of a sudden i crashed, i got dizzy, had horrid panic attack, got taken to hosp, now doc has gave me 15 mg of mirt to take every night, but i am scared to take anything now after my bad experience, anyone got some advice for me, i have not had any med for 3 days and i am feeling dizzy and legs weak, plus palpitations, now and again.its so distressing, i am fed up of feeling disorientated and down.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It takes months and months to recover on Fluoxetine or similar meds.  Often you will start feeling good and then crash - its how the meds work as recovery often comes in waves.  I don't think it was a bad reaction to Flu, but a normal reaction.  When you start feeling good, it can feel quite a shock when the panic returns and you feel its worse than ever ..... but its usually because we've forgotten what it feels like.

You will feel ill if you don't take your meds - and you'll make yourself feel worse, mixed with the side effects of taking the meds.

You need to take your meds, a low dose if you find thats better, and to just keep taking them.  You need one dose and stay on that throughout all side effects etc.  Your body needs to stabilize, so if you start skipping, changing doses etc it will have an effect on your body as it won't know where its at.

One dose, accept all side effects (they do wear off), much patience and lots of perseverance.  We all suit different doses and different meds.  Its trial and error getting it right - but don't jump up doses too quick.  A large dose doesn't bring recovery any quicker. 

You can't hurry these meds - they're not a quick fix - but they will work if you're patient.  Let them do their work.  It took 6 months for me to fully recover and become anxiety free - and that was after 16 years of being depressed and anxious.

The will work though if you let them.

K xx

• Posted

thank you kate for your reply,i simply cant stick those dreadful panic attacks, i feel like i am going to expire, its frightening, if they were not as bad i probally would stick with them, i havent even started the mirtazipine yet, i am scared of all meds now after that experience, i dont know now what to do, 
    • Posted

Hi queen70128 i replied yesterday but not sure where my post went. I looked up that mirtazipine on mindorg for you. I doesnt react well if if you still have fluox in your system so make sure you double check with your doc before taking. I think every 4 to 6 days whatever amount of fluox you have in your body halves. I think if u start counting days after your very last dose of fluox you can work out how little u have left in your bod and when its safest. Check with the doc cos im sayibg this from memory. That Mind org site is really useful also nhs site.
    • Posted

thanks deeb, i think your right, thank god i didnt take the stuff, i may have got worse, my blood pressure is still up from that bloody fluoxitine, that means like you said it must still be in my system, i wont touch that mirtazipine until my blood pressure is normal, as long as its high i know that stuff is still in my body.thanks for your advice, good luck to you deeb., keep in touch, xx
    • Posted

My son used to take Fluoxetine and Mirtazipine which he took for 18 months - just came off this year.  It helped him so much.  Still a good idea to check though ......

K xx

• Posted

It is a frightening experience, but in reality no harm will come to you - even though you feel absolutely terrified.  I know how it feels.

When you have a panic attack your body will tense and you start to overbreathe, making it worse.  I know easier said than done, but to help its best to try and relax against it, let it wash over you, let it pass.  Breathing into a paper bag helps too as you rebreathe in your exhaled carbon dioxide, helping you to calm.  If you've only had this since starting the meds then it will ease off ....... 

Also exercise is another way to deal with it - it helps burn off the excess adrenaline plus exercise releases our 'feel good' endorphins.  One night I woke up with my heart racing and anxiety rushing through my body, so I had to get up and I walked around the room for ages.  Really not nice.

For me, getting through the initial effects of meds was a small price to pay than suffering more years of depression/anxiety.

The meds aren't for everyone though as we each have a different experience on them, some reacting more than others.  How about talking with your doctor about taking a smaller dose and increasing it gradually?

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.